Power supply - how to avoid getting hurt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2006, 10:42 AM   #1
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply - how to avoid getting hurt

Hi,

for my CD player project I'm about to build my own power supply. But before I send of the PCB files to production I'd like to know if this is safe.

Here's what I'm doing:
- Two primaries for 115/230V operation
- Five secondaries, custom made for my V/A needs
- All wound around in a single toroid transformer
- One secondary is always in use
- An MCU controls relays on the other 4 secondaries
- Primaries are always connected to the mains connector
- The relays brake and close the circuit after the regulator
- Simple three-legged regulators are used to save space and $

My question is: Does this sound sane? Is it safe to have the mains connector permanently connected to the primaries of the transformer? What happens if I pull the mains cable and stick my finger in the connector?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
BÝrge
Old 29th December 2006, 03:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

I would always use a separate traffo for trickle/standby power. Firstly, and most importantly, it can be fused correctly for the load, rather than having to be rated for the full consumption of the amp, and secondly, it saves, (a bit of), power. you can then switch the mains directly to the traffo, better as relays don't like switching DC much. You also need a way of isolating the mains, so a switch, (it can be on the back panel) is obligatory.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th December 2006, 03:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Good idea about the switch, Al. I'll put it in.

The reason I'd like to switch DC is that the PSU is for a CD player. And switching AC may lead to any kind of DC on the power rails of the DAC. That could send out signals that might ruin equipment like the following amp and speakers.

Thanks for the advice!

BÝrge
Old 29th December 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi borges:

Your plan for the power supply design sounds sane enough. The same principle is in fact used by many audio/video equipment manufacturers for the equipment that needs little power from the mains. The only difference is that these manufacturers do not normally use relays to switch on power but transistors or microprocessor-controlled regulators. You can also avoid using relays in your design by directly controlling the regulators via MCU (e.g. when using LM317/337 types, by switching of/on voltage on the adjust pins of each regulator).

Regards,
Milan
Old 29th December 2006, 04:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nice one Milan!

I am indeed using LM3x7's. Do you mean you just leave the Vref pin floating? That should be easy to manage with some MOS devices.

Or maybe I should switch to LDOs with explicit enable pins.

Do you see any ill effects in having the primaries constantly (through a switch on the rear panel) to the mains connector?

BÝrge
Old 29th December 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Close rate the mains fuse.

Check running temperature of the transformer. Maybe add or utilise the thermal breaker in the transformer.

LDO is specific to low drop out types.
You can use any reg with a shut down pin.

You could use solid state relays and time them to come on and/or off in a particular order. Or use a series of triacs from timers.
Old 29th December 2006, 05:34 PM   #7
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by borges
....I am indeed using LM3x7's. Do you mean you just leave the Vref pin floating?...
No, I didn't mean the Vref pin should be left floating. What I meant is that the Vref pin should be connected to the ground. As a consequence, the output voltage from the regulator is not zero but 1.25V (when off), which is not an issue in most cases. The picture below (taken from the National's 317 datasheet) shows a controlled regulator.

Quote:
Do you see any ill effects in having the primaries constantly (through a switch on the rear panel) to the mains connector?
No, I don't see any issue with that (my CD player is switched on constantly and is still very much alive and kickin').

Regards,
Milan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 317.jpg (11.8 KB, 214 views)
Old 29th December 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi borges,
I agree with Al. A separate "housekeeping " supply can leave your digital stuff running if you want. You can electrically turn it off. Milan's diagram is exactly how it is done.

Studer/Revox is one example of a manufacturer that does this. Then you only need an AC rated relay to turn on your analog stuff. Just like in most receivers today.

Also, all my equipment is turned on as needed and has been for years on end. No problem. I'm immune to lightning storms.

-Chris
Old 29th December 2006, 08:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!

Looks like I'm going to redesign the supply with regulators with enable/disable (LM2941 and LM2991). And the digital part I can keep running off a simple 7805. I don't want to run my DAC on +-1.25V.

BÝrge
Old 3rd January 2007, 08:17 PM   #10
KISS is offline KISS  United States
diyAudio Member

Something you might want to consider is the reduction of phantom power. For instance have a small regulator for a few watts. Use something like a PIC micoprocessor to deal with the turn on signals.

Add a turn on signal to the mains. When you detect a turn on signal for an aux supply. turn on the mains. Allow a delay, then turn on the appropriate regulator. If the system is on already then no delay is necessary.

There are some new switchmode regularors on the market that are rated for a few watts power for phantom power.

Ideas are free.

Hide this!Advertise here!