ghettoblaster (in dj vinyl crate) - DIY or buy retail?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i would appreciate some advice on building a "ghettoblaster"

i'd like a portable loud speaker system in a dj crate or aluminum looking case. i was going to build one from scratch, using some car speakers, maybe the sonic t-amp or a small car amp, a ton of D-batteries, etc..

i had a friend do this and it was a fun piece to take to things like beach bonfires. it was very loud, sounded great, and strangers loved it for its DIY-looks. so i could build this based on this "proven" design. PICS:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

but then a few days ago, i came across this at an urban outfitters store: "Ion Portable PA System iPA03" and it retails for $300

specs:

* Powerful 15 Watt amplifier with 8" speaker
* XLR mic input
* 1/4 input for instruments or additional mic
* Stereo RCA input for CD player or drum machine
* Built-in rechargeable battery pack

* Input Voltage: AC 100-120V/ 60Hz, 220-240V/ 50Hz
* Output Wattage: (Peak) 22W
* Output Wattage: (RMS) 15W, 1%THD
* Frequency Response: 10Hz~ 50kHz +/- 3dB
* Time required to fully charge: under 12 hours
* Battery life: Over 10 hours* at full volume when fully charged.

SO... i wouldn't be expecting much out of this thing and i don't care for the ipod dock, but should i maybe consider it a starting point? i would gut the inside, replace the speaker and amp, etc.?

this Ion PA is basically the commercialized version of what i was going to build. any ideas? thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.