What is telco?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across this ancient intercom interface called a McCurdy TIM-940, so old the company doesn't have a website.

It has telco in (via a banana plug), but no RJ-14-type input. Anyone have any idea what telco is? Or how I am supposed to connect it to a phone line?

No idea but I did find quite a few of them for sale on Ebay.

You might be able to contact one of the vendors selling them and get some more information.

Based on the unit you describe and the unit I found when searching they do not sound like the same thing. The ones on Ebay look pretty modern.

Oh...I honestly didn't think he was asking what Telco meant but what the device did.

Sorry, I assumed that it was a common term.

Of course my sister, father, mother, brother in law(not same sister), uncle, and a few others all worked for Michigan Bell, Ameritech, AT&T, and now SBC.

theavguy said:
I came across this ancient intercom interface called a McCurdy TIM-940, so old the company doesn't have a website.
It has telco in (via a banana plug), but no RJ-14-type input. Anyone have any idea what telco is? Or how I am supposed to connect it to a phone line?

First off, welcome to the forums!

The interface you're referring to seems to be using an analog telephone line. The analog telephone line is most probably hooked up via the telco input. Have you by any chance tried to inquire about your device at www.mcradio.com? I believe it's their product.

Regards,
Milan

i've seen "telco" plugs used for intercoms before..... just because they were convenient to use...... i'm guessing you're talking about the 4-pin block with pins about the same size as banana plugs. iirc, two of the pins are bigger diameter, or spaced wider than the other two, to keep from plugging in backwards or sideways. it was common to use the telco plugs because they had 4 wires and many homes already had wiring and plugs installed if there was an extension phone there previously. not only that they were available at the local hardware store...

Thanks for all the insight guys. I did contact McCurdy radio (after finally finding their website) and was informed the unit was so old (old than I!) that I would only be able to get a shematic and no other support is available.

So here is my next question. My boss plopped this unit in front of me and asked me to "figure it out". So now I must find some sort of adapter to digital or something. I will check with local shops, anyone have advice on where I might find such an adapter?

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.