Coloring Epoxy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am repairing the PCB for a power amp with a kit from Circuit Medic, very cool kit for plated through hole repair. I only have one trace to fix thankfully.

On the Circuitmedic webpage there was a section about epoxy for re-gluing down traces. and there was mention that the Epoxy could be colored to match the PCB solder mask.

This got me thinking. what would a person use to color epoxy with?

I wonder if food coloring would work?

on a side note, i stopped into the local woodworking store to get my Father a gift certificate (he loves wood working) and noticed that they sell large coloring agents for epoxy there. only white and brown however but it looked like jars of very very fine powder.

Zc

:xmastree: :hohoho:

Check with your automotive paints dealer. They usually carry a good supply of two part bondo type products and resins/cloth for fiberglass repairs. They may not stock colorants, but I'm sure they could order them or give you good advice. I tried looking for epoxy colorants on the web a few years ago and was astonished to find so little info. Maybe that's changed.

Powdered colorants would almost certainly be less risky than liquid since you're not as likely to be adding chemicals that would effect the cure, but liquids mix much better. For electronics you also have to worry about losing dielectric properties - in which case, you probably ought to email someone like 3M to be really certain.

Here's a pretty good PDF to start you out...
http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/21/pdf/Ew21_pigments.pdf

good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.