Radon?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When the wife and I moved into a below ground suite a few years back, I phoned the government and said that radon was more of an east/prairie concern and the BC coast had such low levels, no one at the health authority was trained how to test for it.... if that's any indication.
(it's a carbon canister kit)

But call to double check anyway.

Perhaps it is only a local phenomenon, but in Sweden it is quite common that houses emit radon, due to a special type of concrete that was popular for several decades. It hasn't been used for long now, but the houses are still there. Adding to that, it is quite common with radon from the ground aorund where I live. No problem in my house, though.

Nixie, I directed you to two reasonable sites which discuss radon.

From one, you will see that we humans generally absorb 300 (the number mentioned in the rad training course I take) to 360 mrems per year as a result of being alive.(radon the primary source)

The number you mention, over two years, is of little consequence in the scheme of things. However, it may not have any meaning whatsoever. Radon is an alpha emitter. Alpha particle are stopped by skin, paper, and cannot travel far in air. Radon is an issue because of inhalation. So the dosimeter is not a good measurement tool for this.

For radon, testing involves not the integrated dose reading from a dosimeter, but rather, a measurement of total radon per unit volume of air. The EPA has an action threshold of 4 picocuries per liter.

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/radon.htm#properties

Dosimeters are typically worn on the trunk of the body. It is not clear how the reading you found correlates to what you personally receive...again, it is the air itself that must be measured.

Peruse the links I gave, then consider having an air test performed if you are still concerned.

Note the typical dose of a smoker...60,000 per year, as opposed to 360 for non smokers..interesting, eh? If you smoke or consistently receive second hand smoke, don't bother for yourself.

Cheers, John

Oops, I made an error.

jneutron said:
Note the typical dose of a smoker...60,000 per year, as opposed to 360 for non smokers..interesting, eh? If you smoke or consistently receive second hand smoke, don't bother for yourself.

Cheers, John

The typical dose for a smoker is reported to be 16,000 per year, located on this link:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/health/xrays.htm

Not 60K, as I posted in error above.

I'm gonna see if that site has posted correct info.

Cheers, John

If it's all metal, it probably can't see alpha's. Nor, beta's. Chances are, it will only see gamma or xray, unless there's an opening on the end.. You playin with x-rays again..I told you to stop that..;)

Get a radon test to find out. A two year old dosimeter ain't the thing to use for radon.

Cheers, John

Nixie said:

Why would the age matter? It's rechargeable.

Ah, sorry. Bad choice of words on my part.

Is it resettable?

What does it measure?

Is it even sensitive to alpha particles? Or beta, or gamma...x-ray..

Is it directional?

Is it used as a whole body dosimeter? Or is it a spot one?

How long does it retain it's reading?

Does it require calibration.

Does it require re-certification?

These are typical questions...and luckily, ones I don't have to answer, we just get them, wear them, turn them in..somebody else worries about accuracy.

If you are really worried about radon, get the correct tester...your dosimeter is telling you nothing of value in regard to radon.

Cheers, John

It's a standard pen-shaped shirt pocket-clip quartz fiber dosimeter.

If it's only measuring gamma and x-ray, which makes sense as the barrel is all-metal, where the hell am I getting so much gamma and x-rays? On the few occasions I ran the x-ray machine, I've checked the dosimeter before and after and the reading did not visibly change, so that is not the source.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.