Best way to lift copper off PCB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2006, 03:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best way to lift copper off PCB?

What is the best way to easily lift copper from a PCb without damaging the copper?

Can i soak the boards is something, or i wonder if i could heat the boards with a heatgun and lift the traces off. I dont care about the boards after as I have some old PCB's that i would like to remove all the components from, then lift the copper traces off the board for repair of other PCB's.

Circuit medic sells PCB copper trace repair kits but they are very very expensive. and if i can find a way to lift traces off of boards i can do essentially the same thing at less cost.

Eh, its worth a shot anyway, right? got any ideas?

Zc
Old 19th December 2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Surely this is what you need then you can cut it to the size/shape you want:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-M-COPPER-FOI...QQcmdZViewItem

Tony
Old 19th December 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Zc

Some time ago I had copper tracks from a kit epoxy board to lift due to excesive heat from the soldering iron. Heat melts set epoxy resins, so a higher watts soldering iron coud work out.

Next try to clean carefully all residues underside of the removed copper tracks before use them. Art work, dude!

Hope this helps and good luck

JC
Old 19th December 2006, 04:30 PM   #4
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Best way to lift copper off PCB?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Cool
What is the best way to easily lift copper from a PCb without damaging the copper?
Why can't you damage the copper if you're removing it anyway? You can lift parts of traces up with a knife blade and peel the traces off, but it's much harder to cleanly remove large copper areas.
Old 19th December 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

CircuitMedic has these kits and parts:
http://www.circuitmedic.com/products/201-2100.shtml

And they have these copper sheets that car cut out as repair traces. there $35.00 per sheet which is very expensive. I thought it might be interesting to try and lift the traces off PCB's and see if they could be cleaned ane reused.

The copper tape looks interesting and i have seen other copper tape trace repair rolls in narrower widths. I will try those. but i thought it might be interesting to experiment with some of these old boards i have around here.

Zc

Hide this!Advertise here!