Temp job - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Nixie is offline Nixie  Canada
Banned

Default Temp job

I recently completed the requirements for my degree (MSc in comp.sci.), and started looking for a job. But I realized that this is something that takes time; worse, being close to the holidays, I actually had one person I spoke to on the phone tell me "we don't really want to make hiring decisions around Christmas". So I guess I have bad timing. Unfortunately, I cannot survive for the month or so it will take me to find a job, so I'm curious how I'd go about getting a low skilled temp job. Should I omit mentioning my education, lest they say I'm overqualified or something? As someone that's never worked a day in his life, I'm at a total loss in approaching all this. But I've no choice, as my bank account is at the overdraft limit, credit cards maxed out, and bills unpaid for over a month (and I'm too close to the end of the term to apply for a student loan, something I didn't do before since I underestimated the time it will take to get started with the job search). So, any random advice is appreciated. I don't even know where to best look for jobs. In Vancouver classifieds or job sites, temp jobs don't really seem to be advertised, and I've seen very few 'help wanted' signs when walking around the neighborhood or downtown...
Old 12th December 2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Donít be selective and sell yourself. Convince others that you are the best candidate for the job. Keep looking. Good luck.

/Hugo
Old 12th December 2006, 06:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I suggest you look at dice.com and try to get an entry-level job in your area. If you are proficient in C++ or C#, there is always maintenance work to be done. That will also give you the opportunity to get to know staffing agencies, as many of the jobs are posted by them on behalf of their clients. They can help you get a short term contract to get started.
Old 12th December 2006, 06:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here in the US we have what are called "Temp Agencies". They are companies that are paid to find workers for other companies. They will find you a job based on your skills and/or work history.

They are not the best choice for a permanent source of income, but they can usually find you a job pretty fast. Most people resort to them when in a situation like yours.

You should see if there is such a service up there.

Best of luck.
Old 12th December 2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by grimberg
dice.com
There seem to be a number of contract jobs posted there, but is it not the case that you get paid for contract jobs at the end of the contract when you submit the work? I have food until the end of the week...
Old 12th December 2006, 06:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not at all. In the type of contract jobs that are listed on dice.com and other job boards, you turn in your time sheet, with the client's signature, to the staffing agency, that pays you on a weekly, bi-weekly or semi-monthly schedule. However, the bigger agencies, like Tek Systems for example, have dealt with people in your situation before and may be able, at the account manager's discretion, to advance you some money after you start working.
The contracts in which you are paid after delivery are those you find at rent-a-geek or similar web sites, a totally different thing.
Old 12th December 2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Banned

I find a lot of companies very opaque to applicants. They have online application submission form and that's it. Tried calling a few to get more information about the company and/or job, but can't get to talk to anyone with anything, they just say, submit the online application...
Old 12th December 2006, 08:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A warning about those, I've been a victim of identity theft using those and placement agencies.

If the company doesn't want to talk to you directly, they aren't worth working for.
Old 12th December 2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Banned

Geek, I didn't meant recruiting agencies, but companies that have job postings, such as MacDonald Dettwiler. I called up the switchboard at MDA, for example, and asked to be transfered to the specific division, but they said if I was looking for a job I can't talk to anyone and can only do the online submission.
Old 12th December 2006, 08:55 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you haven't worked a day in your life it will be tough. What skills outside of the obvious do you have? Are you fit? Can you do labour intensive jobs? There's lots out there if you have a strong back and a weak mind.

Hide this!Advertise here!