What other hobbies we have?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I first got into audio (late 70's-early 80's), all the 'piles I knew were also into bicycles and tropical fish. I still ride as often as I can, alternating between a Burley Django recumbent, and a Rivendell road bike. I stick to country roads with little traffic, and I can reach plenty of them from my front door. I also have a Rivendell mountain/expedition bike, but living in flat farm land as I do there are no nearby trails to ride so it gets used far too little. Oh, and I also have an old touring bike that's been converted into a fixed gear commuter. Fixies are wonderful, smooth machines to ride.

I kept tropical fish for many years. My favorite aquaria are those with few fish, minimal filtration, and live plants. I'm without an aquarium these days, there's no good place for one in my current home. Maybe I'll get to put in a koi pond someday, if I can figure out how to keep the local racoons away from my fish. I also cook (my degree is in Food Science), and like to bake bread when I have the time.

Home repair and renovation will be a 'hobby' for the next few years, more by financial necessity than by choice. I can't afford to pay others to do what I can do for myself. In my last house I stripped the kitchen down to bare studs and subfloor and built it back out, I'll have to do the same here with the kitchen and 2-1/2 baths.

I have made occasional and none too successful stabs at learning to play a musical instrument. The current axes of choice are mandolin, on which I have learned a couple of dozen fiddle tunes, and ukulele, which is nice for casual strumming on the beach. Chris Thiele or Jake Shimabukuro I'm not! As my screen name suggests, I'm a pretty lousy musician, which is why I play (and play with) the stereo!

Ron E said:
Or perhaps N20

Wait for your turn on the laughing stuff , wizzard of NOS.
Let's keep it simple first. :clown:

LM,
let's hope you're not a lousy renovator.
I'm more the total reno type; walls, floors,bathrooms,piping, wiring, rooftops, mech. construction, etc.
I'm currently busy on the electronic stuff for the remote operated gate to the parking lot, did the gate welding job last year.
350lbs and 20" of gate that used to keep cows in, gave the farmer $60 for them, quite a challenge getting the both of them in my Chevy. (stupid me forgot to bring the trailer) :clown:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I spend some time in the garage...working with cars, mainly tuning and modifying. I have done some fuel-injection transplants. Most of them has been programmable types (Link Electrosystems).

Should have spent time chasing women, but have still not recovered from last wife...

Arne K

What other hobbies do we have?

Hi

I make phono cartridges, restore tube gear (preference Leak) and have just recently tried my hand at a Quad 405 which turned out rather nice. I've also built a plinth or two for my 301's and recently modded and converted an arm to take an sme connector.

My best rated hobby job? Around 1988 I got a quote for a steel fence for my front garden @ 1 1/2 X what I paid for the erf my house was built on. I taught myself to weld, made some jigs and a cut-off saw and did the job myself. It made a nice pic in Popular Mechanics around 1990 under the heading 'Ironsmith".

And then there was also a rock and surf angling episode. Sadly, the Shimanos, Daiwas, a Penn 535GS and Ambassadeurs are all idle for the last 6 years...but I'd like to do this again.:D

And of course I'm a vinyl collector:angel:

bulgin

theres a big future in security systems. a have a few contracts
on the go. big money i still get to work with electronics so im happy.

i like to call it a hobbie

cheers
;)

Attachments

• 000_0856.jpg
    000_0856.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 340
lndm said:
Do you have a carbonara recipe you might care to share?

To be honest I'm not so good at using recipes but that looks like a nice dish. I noticed there were 2.35 million hits on google so there are many ideas as to the best way. Do you like to make the dish at home? Special ingredients?

I should explain. Although I'm a mod here at diyAudio, my real hobby is food. From growing our own veggies and herbs all the way to stuffing our own sausages, it's all good. Living here in these parts is very good if you're into food. Very multicultural.

karma said:
and to fill the hobbie side of it i like to make portable Surveillance
equipment.

life is good if you a tech junky like me:D

I'm also in the surveillance game. Big business in our country, as you can imagine. It's not a hobby, though, but it pays for my hobby :D :D

We also used to do portable surveillance equipment. The fun part was figuring out where to hide the cameras, like fire extinguishers, atm's, etc :devilr: Because of legislation in our country, we are not allowed to do that anymore, but there are more cool things out there, especially with the dome cameras (READ, pan at 400 deg/sec and 35 x optical zoom)

Cheers

Gert

I shortened my hobby list recently mainly due to number one on the current list :
1. My baby daughter of 8 months (each day is new)
2. Jogging (half a marathon an my agenda, expected finishing time 1h45)
3. Audio electronics (analog and digital stuff)
4. Work (thats what you get when you're graduated in electronics :D)

grtz

Simon

btw : No one for the Carbonara recipe ?

I was into wood working before I got into DIY audio. In fact, my shop inspired me to first "save some cash" and build a set of high end speakers myself. So much for being cheaper. . . :D

I also have a motorcycle that I have to keep running during the warm months. I would rather NOT have "being a mechanic" on my list of hobbies, but if the shoe fits, I guess I have to count it! LOL!

David

or a pain in the backside. . . :rolleyes: :D:D:D

I know plenty of people who LOVE working on cars and engines, but I discovered that I am not really one of them. Much like hanging drywall, I can do it if I need to, but I would really rather pay someone to do it for me!

I much prefer playing with electrons than gasoline.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.