2.4Ghz RF Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2.4Ghz RF Amplifier

Does anyone know how to build a 2.4Ghz amplifier to boost my silly weak but signal, and Iíve tried to contact the shops selling the stuff and no one replyís. So that not so nice.

So do anyone know how to build a piece of monster RF amplifier, to have a huge coverage of my signal, and donít worry about the security of intruders
Old 6th December 2006, 05:58 PM   #2
MikeB is offline MikeB  Germany
diyAudio Member

Operate your microwave oven without frontdoor ? At least this will give you an idea how such an amplifier will feel.
Old 6th December 2006, 06:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Build from the circuit level?

Not an easy task by any means. . . Thats all the advice I can offer for someone with no experience.
Old 6th December 2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
hm, Get a travelling wave tube, or klystron amplifier... Or, some planar triodes, or some new-fangled high speed microwave transistors.
Old 6th December 2006, 06:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you have a circuit diagram on how to build a device like this maybe?
Old 7th December 2006, 01:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A very high voltage power supply is required. Teledyne or MEC sells the driver TWT and also the Final TWT$$$$$. Waveguides gots to have waveguides. Now some way to modulate the RF Hmmm. **** now this is beginning to sound like the equipment I maintained while in the service" radar jamming amplifier". It would be a lot cheaper to move closer to the repeater tower.

P.S. Dont stand in front of the transmitting antenna or you will start cooking like popcorn..
Old 7th December 2006, 08:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Go for gain in the antenna system,MUCH easier than trying to build an amplifier for 2.4Ghz

I built a "cantenna" for my WiFi card,get a solid 10dB gain from it.
Cost was under $10,and an afternoon of work.Much better signal.

My friend made one that was even longer,welded up from some 3" exhaust pipe..Said he could get a solid 20-24dB of gain from it!

There are some one-chip MMIC RF amplifiers that will work at 2.4Ghz,Look up some of the MiniCircuits parts MAR/MAV,etc. Most have a bandwidth of DC-3Ghz.
Very simple to use,but again,layout at those frequencies will be critical.
Old 7th December 2006, 09:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just for interest sake Iím sitting 1meter from my access point every day then on pc, will that be dangerous to me? Itís operating almost 24/7 and have a max TX power of 100mA

I want to Buy that BA24j - Indoor, 500mW 2.4 GHz amplifier but Iím not getting any responds from the suppliers, so Iím a bit miffed about that, Itís probally because Iím located in South Africa so for years if I want something rather build it
Old 7th December 2006, 03:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I also want to build a antenna but where do you get the connecters for the that small bnc of something, Iím in South Africa their you get nothing like that you must import that stuff probably and I already have like millions of homemade antenna plans but donít have any smart connecters, so that suck

Hide this!Advertise here!