how does a cell phone get it right to transmit over 7km - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2006, 07:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post how does a cell phone get it right to transmit over 7km

Can anyone tell me how does a cell phone get it right to transmit over 7km to a tower and you guys know how small a cell phone is.

How can I build a transmitter so small to also transmitter over 7km +

For data link purpose
Old 6th December 2006, 09:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You wouldn't need much power.Cell phones are Line of sight and require repeater stations(towers) and probably only transmit a carrier of 100 mw or less in the UHF freq.band.
Old 6th December 2006, 10:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

UK cellphones are normally about 6W?, they don't use UHF, they use much higher frequencies - the power output though is switched according to the signal strength from the nearest mast, so would rarely approach the full 6W.

As suggested, cellphones are 'line of sight', so could go a considerable way with fairly low power, however the high frequencies used tend to limit it - which is the whole point of cells.

Using a handheld 2M amateur radio transceiver (1W out) I used to easily get 70 or 80 miles - from the top of a hill! - in the bottom of a valley you get coverage of the valley, and that's about it!.
Old 6th December 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Iíve got a 500mW 446Mhz Oregon Two-ways and it only gives out 5km = 3.106856 Mile and itís heavy on the batteryís

But a cell phone you can talk hours long.

So whatís the secret behind that, and how can I build my own long range line of sight transmitter that uses 100mA to transmit up to Miles and Miles long just like a cell phone does, my main purpose of this device is to build a data link
Old 6th December 2006, 04:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacquesl
Iíve got a 500mW 446Mhz Oregon Two-ways and it only gives out 5km = 3.106856 Mile and itís heavy on the batteryís

But a cell phone you can talk hours long.

So whatís the secret behind that, and how can I build my own long range line of sight transmitter that uses 100mA to transmit up to Miles and Miles long just like a cell phone does, my main purpose of this device is to build a data link
I explained above - a cellphone uses very low power because it's mostly only transmitting to a nearby mast, and the handwset adjusts it's power output to the minimum required (to extend battery life, and to reduce the possible damage to your brain).

Also, the batteries are MUCH, MUCH better than the ones you're using in your Two-ways - which are also pretty poor things, not like a 'proper' transceiver at all.
Old 6th December 2006, 04:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do you have a circuit diagram on how to build a device like this?
Old 6th December 2006, 05:14 PM   #7
ingrast is offline ingrast  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Cell phones put the burden of performance on the base station side, sensitive receivers and above all, very high gain antenna arrays with optimized beam coverage.

An answer to your requirements must first start with with knowledge of things like if you want unrestricted portability or you are only interested in a fixed point to point link etc.

Rodolfo

PS And don't even dream of building an amplifier without a fair amount of experience and RF test equipment.
Old 6th December 2006, 05:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It really does matter, well letís start of by point to point, to make things easier
Old 6th December 2006, 06:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

RF design is complicated, and layout is critical - particularly at the high frequencies you would need to use. Presumably you want a decent data rate?, a normal radio channel probably manages 1200 baud or 2400 baud?. If low rates are all you need?, you might try googling for "packet radio" - radio hams use a device called a TNC (Terminal Node Controller) which is essentially a modem between a computer and a transceiver.

Another problem is the legality of it - you will almost certainly require a licence, which won't be available for what you want to do!.
Old 6th December 2006, 08:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yea, packet radio will probably be the best option for me now, but I want some scary fast speed over long distances I already checked out the packet radio, but it didnít tickled me so much, but Iím going to do a monster search on Google now.

The only thing is, how the pc manages it to switch PTT button automatically then you want to TX stuff

Hide this!Advertise here!