New audio codec in development - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2006, 06:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New audio codec in development

A new audio codec is being developed by the infamous, one and only keantoken! I will call it the Slew-Sampled Audio Codec. I am planning for it to be open source, if it is worth messing with. I have attached a PDF file which should briefly explain my plans as well as be an interesting insight into the art of critical thinking if indeed my ideas are valid.

Any input is appreciated, as well as humorous play if the topic is maintained.

If my use of the phrase "slew rate" is kind of strange, forgive me that I have not a better word to use.

happy reading!

Attached Files
File Type: zip the slew-sampled audio codec by anthony tuttle.zip (16.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 4th December 2006, 12:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Okay, maybe its not as amazing an idea as I first thought it was.

Please disregard any questionable information relating to Fourier because what I wrote is just what I got from everything I heard about him on DIYAudio. Most of it I had to assume.

Okay, just so I won't have to sit here and explain why I posted this without thinking as much as I usually do, I'll just come out and ask the inevitable underlying question - What is you opinion on my idea?

I have another snazzy idea, but I want feedback on this one first. Opinions?

Any ideas or opinions greatly appreciated!

-keantoken
Old 4th December 2006, 10:43 AM   #3
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keantoken

Way above my head. I looked at the post thinking, wow, a new FLAC, APE..... is it lossless? Lossy...

So I downloaded the pdf, and got something about squares and sines.... and...

Quote:

Let this be a lesson to the reader about the potential of any determined
person regardless of intellect.
Old 4th December 2006, 12:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think FLAC should be a must for lossless, WAV and APE should be considered.

For lossy, Vorbis .ogg and (ugh.. ick... yuck) mp3, just because not enough people know any better. Though I find 320K tolerable
Old 4th December 2006, 11:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssmith
quote:
Quote:

Way above my head. I looked at the post thinking, wow, a new FLAC, APE..... is it lossless? Lossy...

So I downloaded the pdf, and got something about squares and sines.... and...
quote:

Quote:
Let this be a lesson to the reader about the potential of any determined
person regardless of intellect.
Yes, it is supposed to be lossless.
About that last part, I thought it was neat that I could write all that down with out using a textbook or calculator. I thought it was interesting that all this could be figured out just by logic.

Geek,

I like the idea of lossless audio, but there is only so much you can do to keep from blowing up your harddrive with no loss in quality. I thought OGG was cool until I came across FLAC. Now I will try and use it for everything.

I got a 38000 samplerate @ 16b WAV of the MegaMan X5 Staffroll (Yes, I play MegaMan...) And despite the low samplerate and 16b quality, (and it's 35Mb of disk space ) it's the best music I've ever heard - The quality is astounding and the composition is ten times as good! I converted it to FLAC and I can't really tell a difference (maybe less full sound?).

What's up with the APE thing anyway? My uncle thinks that's kind of a lame name... I don't really care anyways though, somewhat because of the abstract name and more because I am already content with what I have.

I would post my second idea, but it seems extremely simple and I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been done... But it does seem to have a lot of potential.

-keantoken
Old 5th December 2006, 12:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Keantoken,

Ahhhh, 35MB is nothing nowadays

Imagine if you could get one of those Apple "thumbdrives" to work with your gadget? That'd be cool!

Quote:
What's up with the APE thing anyway?
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

A lot of the lossless Usenet groups use .ape and the creator's fairly easy to work with

Speaking of which, I wonder if they got the bugs out of the Linux binaries yet
Old 5th December 2006, 01:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hmmm...

Sounds interesting enough to be worth checking out.

About Linux, I used to use it until I got Win2k and shortly after I got an Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 (128 RAM) and discovered it's incompatibility with Kubuntu. So I haven't been using it because nobody has shown me a way to set the right drivers at installation time. I would be using it if it weren't for that. Wonder if they fixed it in 6.10?

You think you got problems with bugs... The bugs aren't as bad as the directory names and stuff. I can never locate my programs! Nor do I know where to put all my files. I guess that's my fault, however, because I couldn't really spent much time getting used to the linux life.

- keantoken
Old 5th December 2006, 01:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm interested but would like to hear how this will be helpful for audio storage/compression.
Old 5th December 2006, 01:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well,

That was an unanticipated question!
I just spontaneously had this idea somehow and wrote a PDF about it.
I have often thought that if you could capture subtle but meaningful information about data such as sound, you could just record that information and it would be sufficient to reproduce the whole data when necessary. The slew rate would translate all factors of a wave when subjected to the proper algorithms, and wouldn't take up as much space as the actual original waveform. Therefore, it is a logical way to store information. It is not necessarily compression, but just a smaller way to record audio. However, using the Sinusoidal Method could be somewhat hard to encode...

If I eventually get some more programming experience in C or C++ I might decide to go ahead and try it.

Anyways, What are the harmonics involved in making square waves and triangle waves? I'm going to have to simulate this on my graphing calculator...

-keantoken
Old 5th December 2006, 03:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
About Linux, I used to use it until I got Win2k and shortly after I got an Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 (128 RAM) and discovered it's incompatibility with Kubuntu.
Nvidia is the bane of many a *nix user. They have a *nix dev team, but.......

That's why many users are ATI fans

Hide this!Advertise here!