Active Room Equalisation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2003, 12:21 PM   #11
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Guy's ahve you checked Nelson Pass' ideas ?
Old 2nd January 2003, 02:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
Guy's ahve you checked Nelson Pass' ideas ?
What ideas are presented in the thread you linked? All I see is the scan of part of a magazine page in a language most of us can't understand.

How 'bout you translate it and post it.
Old 2nd January 2003, 04:13 PM   #13
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Arrow Nelson Pass active room correction

I guess Nelson himself can enlighten us the best.

I found this:
Quote:
Barton:
-------------------------
What the future holds is little black boxes that can enhance loudspeakers and do some DSP things that will improve the performance of the loudspeaker for both home-theater and stereo applications. It is possible that we will integrate [the DSP] with full-range powered speakers that really need just a digital source, not unlike what Meridian does in some of their products. I think that's becoming feasible in an affordable range of speakers costing, say, under $4000 for a system.

There's another area that I'd like to develop, working in conjunction with some research going on at NRC that involves active noise control. How that translates to hi-fi reproduction is active absorption, which is the opposite of an adaptive loudspeaker. It sort of "anti-adapts" to the acoustic environment. At low frequencies, I think this could be very effective. I remember years ago there was a tall, slim column called the Black Shadow. Who made that?

Atkinson:
Nelson Pass designed it for Threshold at the end of the '80s. The time I heard it, it certainly seemed to kill the low-frequency room resonances...

Barton:
You put it in the corner and pump up the opposite modes, right?Footnote 1

Atkinson:
Yeah.
It is copied from this website:
Stereophile Magazine - Archives
----------------------------------------------------------------
History
The Threshold brand was founded by Nelson Pass in 1974, introducing the first of what would be a long series of groundbreaking products using the patented STASIS technology.

http://www.threshold-audio.com/about.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------

halo - when will halojoy get his corrected room?
- No one knows -
Old 12th January 2003, 10:32 AM   #14
Ignite is offline Ignite  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ignite
Quote:
Originally posted by haldor

Also you need to eq a system at normal listening volume. Human hearing frequency response is non-linear and changes at different volume levels. We hear lows and highs very poorly at lower volumes. If you setup your eq for good results at 80dB then the system will sound totally different (excessive low end and high end) at 90 dB. That is why it is so important to set sound levels the same when comparing gear.
Idea: volume controlled bass/treble boost. This probably exists anyway, but it'd still be cool. More bass and treble at lower volumes, set up so it just sounds the same at any volume within a reasonable range.
Old 12th January 2003, 08:04 PM   #15
mbroker is offline mbroker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ignite
Idea: volume controlled bass/treble boost. This probably exists anyway, but it'd still be cool. More bass and treble at lower volumes, set up so it just sounds the same at any volume within a reasonable range.
Been desiring one of these for my car for years. Set the EQ to sound nice during city driving (under 40mph), then hve to spend some time resetting it when I jump on the highway at 65mph+. Was hoping to eventually find a decent EQ with memory presets, or something. That way I can push a city/hwy button or something.

Would also like a good EQ for my home theater system. But the only ones I've found are *way* over my budget. After trying to find some suitable log slider pots for less than small fortune, I gave up on the DIY option.

Mark Broker
Old 13th January 2003, 12:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default in the PDF for their digital resistors

Analog Devices has a series of filter designs, (HP, LP and BP) which can be "easily" adjusted. There's your design for a computer controlled equalizer.

A tiny spectrum analyzer -- Zetex makes a continuously adjustable bandpass/notch filter -- you don't need particularly steep skirts for this ap -- the chip has an input for local oscillator.

Hide this!Advertise here!