CATV/Sat Splitters ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the difference between CATV splitters and Satelllite splitters?

Is it possible to use only one splitter that will allow me to go back and forth between DIGITAL CATV and DIGITAL Satellite? Depending on programming and cost, I sometimes sign up with DIGITAL CATV for some period of time and at other times with Direct TV (but never both at the same time).

I'm looking at:

1. ASKA SP2G-8 8-Way Splitter/Combiner, all port power passive, which claims to split or combine signals on cable and satellite IF signals (950-2050 MHz).

2. Monster Cable SS8RF - 5 MHz–1000 MHz bandwidth is digital ready.

3. Channel Vision HS-8 - 1 GHz Female 75 ohm input/output connections DC pass all portsI/R passive PCB Based.

Will the bandwidth capabilities of the Satellite Splitters accomodate DIGITAL CATV signals, and if so does the higher MHz mean better picture? What am I not understanding?

FrankRoss said:
What is the difference between CATV splitters and Satelllite splitters?

You have answered you own question here. Read the frequency range spec. for each splitter.

1. ASKA SP2G-8 8-Way Splitter/Combiner, all port power passive, which claims to split or combine signals on cable and satellite IF signals (950-2050 MHz).

2. Monster Cable SS8RF - 5 MHz–1000 MHz bandwidth is digital ready.

3. Channel Vision HS-8 - 1 GHz Female 75 ohm input/output connections DC pass all portsI/R passive PCB Based.

Will the bandwidth capabilities of the Satellite Splitters accomodate DIGITAL CATV signals, and if so does the higher MHz mean better picture? What am I not understanding?

CATV operates on frequencies from 5 mHz to 1000mHz in the RF world. Satellite downconverters send signals in the 950 mHz to 2050 mHz range. Each is designed to operate in a different frequency range and should be used in that way. If you want a splitter that can be used for CATV & SAT it must have a bandwidth of 5 mHz to 2050 mHz.

A splitter doesn't know the difference between analog and digital TV signals, It's all RF to the splitter. Anyone who tries to sell a splitter as "Digital Ready" and charges a higher price for it is steeling your money. By the way the satellite signal is digital also.

Later
Bruce:geezer:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.