CD collection, ?BMG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gychang,
You can search BMG catalog on line and decide if you like the selection.
When you first sign in they’ll give you a very attractive deal. Then they will try to sell you a selection every month. You can deny it monthly or call them to stop that practice. You will still be a member and the average price will be $6 to $9 per CD delivered.

3 CDs I would recommend for starters:
Rameau-Les Grands Motets-W.Christie
Shostakovich-String Quartets No 5,7,9- St Petersburg SQ
“That’s all right”-from the series “When the sun goes down” (The Secret History of Rock and Roll)

Marek

marekst said:
Hi Gychang,
You can deny it monthly or call them to stop that practice. You will still be a member and the average price will be $6 to $9 per CD delivered.

3 CDs I would recommend for starters:
Rameau-Les Grands Motets-W.Christie
Shostakovich-String Quartets No 5,7,9- St Petersburg SQ
“That’s all right”-from the series “When the sun goes down” (The Secret History of Rock and Roll)

Marek

that's helpful, thanks,

gychang

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It may be a case of the feet too big for the shoes. I had the worst luck with BMG. Incorrect things sent, CD's sent when I didn't want them, threatening letters etcetera. My relationship with them ended by me sending them a nasty note about my utter dissatisfaction with their service along with someone elses bill that had inadvertantly been included with mine. Never heard from them again.

Cal Weldon said:
It may be a case of the feet too big for the shoes. I had the worst luck with BMG. Incorrect things sent, CD's sent when I didn't want them, threatening letters etcetera. My relationship with them ended by me sending them a nasty note about my utter dissatisfaction with their service along with someone elses bill that had inadvertantly been included with mine. Never heard from them again.

sounds like a good reason to avoid, any other competition out there for BMG? Maybe trying to outdo BMG?

gychang

DigitalJunkie said:
I noticed some of the CD's I have from them have different labels/artwork (on the disc itself) than thier store-bought counterparts.
One of my friends was looking through my CD collection,and was asking why some of my CD's had different lettering/artwork,etc.
:confused:

BMG music contracts with many music companies to produce their own "Version" of many of the CD's that they market.

Some are recorded at what IMHO, is a lesser sample bitrate, or poorer overall production. Some have alternate/re-dubbed lyrics, and/or cover art. There are also some that are, as far as I can tell...just as they were supposed to be.

You can look at the copyright message on the CD cover and see the "BMG Music", on the ones that they produced.

I wouldn't avoid buying from BMG Music, just understand that they have done, and will do these things. As long as you understand what you are buying, the choice is your's.

Tall Shadow

gychang,

Since you live in SoCal (like me), I would recommend the monthly (first Sunday of every month) record show in Pasadena (they have lots of vinyl, but also lots of CDs and DVDs). If you (or anyone else) is interested let me know.

I've been going there for years and have got quite of few deals. For instance, I'd been looking for John Lurie's Excess Baggage soundtrack (score really), but couldn't find anywhere (for a reasonable price that is). I found it at the show for $1. Used, but in mint condition.

I also found the Apollo 13 Academy score for $7. Excellent score I must say. It's my 3rd copy. First one I paid $50 years ago off eBay - it's a pretty rare score.

Now I'm spoiled and don't want to pay anymore than $5 for a standard disc :)

-Ken

grimberg said:
It is quite a drive from Irvine to Pasadena, but if they have really good deals I might do it at least once to get to know it. Where is it located and what are the hours?

Yeah, it's a bit farther from Irvine - I'm in Buena Park so it's about 35 minutes for me.

The record/cd show (as well as the normal swap meet) is located at:

Pasadena City College Flea Market & Record Swap
1570 E Colorado Blvd (Colorado & Bonnie), Pasadena, CA (626)585-7906

I think the hours are 8:00AM - 3:00PM. Most people are set up by 7:00AM.

-Ken

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So Gychang, those BIBS have you wanting to buy new CDs? Great! Good speakers will do that. :)

I say stay away from BMG. Junk, most of it. Like that bad old days of Columbia house and their cheap junk vinyl pressings - and the cassettes were worse!

Now days I get my stuff from Amazon - great selection, Ebay - great deals, and some local shops.
Another source I really like is Acoustic Sounds. Lots of primo stuff, great reviews, good email news letter. Well worth your time to look at.

Anyone remember CDNOW? They ruled, until Amazon swallowed them up.

Once you own a few CD's sign up with lala.com. It's a CD trading place that costs you 1.75 per CD traded. That covers shipping (they provide envelopes and CD shells) and their commission.
You post your collection and a wish list. They match your collection with other members' wish list and let you know that you have something others want. Every time you send someone one of your CD's, someone else who has CD's on your wish list will send you one. It is a great way to listen to a lot of music for cheap. You can always make MP3s or copies of the CDs you put up for trade. You lose the original packaging.
I traded quite a few CD's so far and never got ripped off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.