Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2006, 01:04 PM   #1
gychang is online now gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default CD collection, ?BMG

like to get back into getting some CDs, jazz, popular and classical.

is the monthly subscription like BMG way to go?, (tired of d/l .mp3), home use and not for portable.

thanks

gychang
Old 20th November 2006, 12:17 PM   #2
marekst is offline marekst  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi Gychang,
You can search BMG catalog on line and decide if you like the selection.
When you first sign in they’ll give you a very attractive deal. Then they will try to sell you a selection every month. You can deny it monthly or call them to stop that practice. You will still be a member and the average price will be $6 to $9 per CD delivered.

3 CDs I would recommend for starters:
Rameau-Les Grands Motets-W.Christie
Shostakovich-String Quartets No 5,7,9- St Petersburg SQ
“That’s all right”-from the series “When the sun goes down” (The Secret History of Rock and Roll)

Marek
Old 20th November 2006, 02:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marekst
Hi Gychang,
You can deny it monthly or call them to stop that practice. You will still be a member and the average price will be $6 to $9 per CD delivered.

3 CDs I would recommend for starters:
Rameau-Les Grands Motets-W.Christie
Shostakovich-String Quartets No 5,7,9- St Petersburg SQ
“That’s all right”-from the series “When the sun goes down” (The Secret History of Rock and Roll)

Marek
that's helpful, thanks,

gychang
Old 24th November 2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

It may be a case of the feet too big for the shoes. I had the worst luck with BMG. Incorrect things sent, CD's sent when I didn't want them, threatening letters etcetera. My relationship with them ended by me sending them a nasty note about my utter dissatisfaction with their service along with someone elses bill that had inadvertantly been included with mine. Never heard from them again.
Old 24th November 2006, 07:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
It may be a case of the feet too big for the shoes. I had the worst luck with BMG. Incorrect things sent, CD's sent when I didn't want them, threatening letters etcetera. My relationship with them ended by me sending them a nasty note about my utter dissatisfaction with their service along with someone elses bill that had inadvertantly been included with mine. Never heard from them again.

sounds like a good reason to avoid, any other competition out there for BMG? Maybe trying to outdo BMG?

gychang
Old 24th November 2006, 08:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Columbia House used to be the competition, but it is now part of BMG Music Service. Avoid them at all cost.
Using a price comparison site like pricegrabber.com you can find good deals on the CDs you want. No commitments, no hassle.
Old 24th November 2006, 08:15 PM   #7
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
IMO, BMG just doesnt have a good selection, nor are their deals all that good.

my suggestion is to find a good used cd store. you can get good cds for $6, and usually listen to them before you buy them. mine will give me a day or so to return them if i dont like them (i know the owner though).
Old 24th November 2006, 08:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I noticed some of the CD's I have from them have different labels/artwork (on the disc itself) than thier store-bought counterparts.
One of my friends was looking through my CD collection,and was asking why some of my CD's had different lettering/artwork,etc.
Old 29th November 2006, 12:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
I noticed some of the CD's I have from them have different labels/artwork (on the disc itself) than thier store-bought counterparts.
One of my friends was looking through my CD collection,and was asking why some of my CD's had different lettering/artwork,etc.

BMG music contracts with many music companies to produce their own "Version" of many of the CD's that they market.

Some are recorded at what IMHO, is a lesser sample bitrate, or poorer overall production. Some have alternate/re-dubbed lyrics, and/or cover art. There are also some that are, as far as I can tell...just as they were supposed to be.

You can look at the copyright message on the CD cover and see the "BMG Music", on the ones that they produced.

I wouldn't avoid buying from BMG Music, just understand that they have done, and will do these things. As long as you understand what you are buying, the choice is your's.

Tall Shadow
Old 29th November 2006, 04:06 PM   #10
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
for cds, ive found (aside from local shops) ebay and amazon.com to be good. amazon.com has a used sectiion. just search for stuff like you normally would, but it will say "x number from $1 and up used" or something like that... ive bought many cds that way.

Hide this!Advertise here!