AV Receiver Suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to HuntTheShunt Send a message via MSN to HuntTheShunt Send a message via Yahoo to HuntTheShunt
Default AV Receiver Suggestions

You have now got your ultimate value for money HiFi system, but what AV Receiver are you guys using to attach to the Plasma/DVD/HDD/Blu-ray... to get the home theatre effect?

What do regard as good value?
Old 19th November 2006, 08:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Any of the upper end of the Denon AVR series (4800 & above).
Old 21st November 2006, 06:28 AM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Value for money? There's a relatively inexpensive Pioneer model VSX816K that has preamp outs, so you can hook it up to real power amps.
Old 21st November 2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Shame you are in the UK, our friends in the capitalist US of A can get a 700W Pioneer 7.1 receiver for the grand total of... wait for it.... $88

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/deals...-ar-216076.php

In-store pickup can be arranged to save on shipping the 20lbs monster.
Old 23rd November 2006, 05:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to HuntTheShunt Send a message via MSN to HuntTheShunt Send a message via Yahoo to HuntTheShunt
The closest Pioneer to the VSX-816K I can find in the uk, is VSX-916-K at 239.98 in the UK from amazon.co.uk thats $457.86 USD!
Old 23rd November 2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a pioneer VSX-515 that I bought last year on black friday (day after thanksgiving) for $119.

It is really a very nice piece of equipment. I really can't see spending any more money on a HT receiver. It makes movies come alive and has every feature I would ever need except the ability to drive low impedance loads. Stick with 8 ohm speakers and you are golden.

Look at what you get for more money and ask yourself if you would ever use it. Video switching? Why would I want to do that? Why do I need multiple digital inputs when all I have with a digital out is a DVD player? Pre outs? C'mon, it is home theater, it is really just a toy. A well set up budget system sounds just as good, you just can't sound like an audio snob when you mention the brand names.

I use these with a set of bookshelves I designed and built. I bought two pairs of little $50/ pr Sony SS-MB150H speakers to use as surrounds and the matching center (they sounded relatively flat to me in the store and measurements show they have a reasonable tonal balance) and eventually I will mod them with a crossover that works better than the 1.5 uF on the tweeter and the free-run woofers....

Total cost - about $400. People spend more on those crappy home theater in a box units.

Friends find the main difference between mine and their systems is the lack of bass, and to me theirs sound like their subs are +6 to 10dB from where they should be. I find I don't need a sub, but one could be added easily.... I have an old set of speakers (F3~30Hz) I am actually using just as stands and an extra amp and could hook them to the sub out - but I live in an apartment and don't want the neighbors complaining
Old 23rd November 2006, 11:59 PM   #7
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I said "relatively" inexpensive; the 816 was around $400 Canadian, which is not chicken feed. But, it had more digital inputs than the other A/V receivers in its price class, and preamp outs. If I see that model on sale or as a demo I'll be very tempted.

I also looked at an SA-HE75, which as a demo was priced at $150 Canadian. 3 digital inputs, 3 S-video inputs, which is pretty good for a cheap receiver.
Old 24th November 2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

My point is that HT is a toy and deserves no more money. If you want to spend money on audio, it is better spent on 2 channel. My 2 channel system is still frugal, but much less so.
Old 24th November 2006, 11:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Quote:
Originally posted by N-Channel
Any of the upper end of the Denon AVR series (4800 & above).
Forgot to add anything fron the Sunfire line (Cinema Grand, Theater Grand, etc.)

Hide this!Advertise here!