Cats chewing cables!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all.

The cat might just be chewing because it needs something to sink its teeth into... Is it hungry? Cats will eat a lot when they are lonely or depressed, so if it feels neglected in any way, it might feel hungry and want to chew on something gummy. You might want to try and see if there is a difference in the feel or look of the victim and less popular cables. :)

The spray bottle idea is probably the best, but my grandmother has a cat who will sit at her water bowl and play in it! Grammy could try using the spray bottle, but I'm sure the cat wouldn't mind it the least.
Every once in a while we will hear this SPLOOSH coming from the bathroom sink and we instantly know who it is! :D

Also, I believe that a cat that wants to chew on things all the time is a bored cat, so if an animal-related TV channel comes on and the cat seems interested, you may want to spare it the boredom.
My grammy's cats will sometimes lay down in front of the TV and just stare at it. Not like they understand what's happening on the human level, but they probably know more about what goes on in those TV animals' heads than we do!

Cats are just weird... there's not really much of a way to describe it. They are clever and cunning animals, and if their intellectual needs are not attended to, they become distant from the owners.

I think that to solve this problem, you first need to solve your cat!

Oh, and about the shock method, I think that's kind of close to the head. Don't want to do brain damage! :clown:

Hope this helps,
- keantoken

I found the squirt bottle kind of works. But the cat quickly realizes that if there's no human around, then there's no squirt bottle either. They just wait until you are asleep at night to come out to play.

One thing that works almost as good as a squirt bottle is to make a cat-like "hissing" sound at them. If you "meow" at your cat they seem to think you are being stupid, but if you hiss they seem to understand that you are angry/scolding/warning them off. Normally, I think trying to make animal sounds in an attempt to communicate with animals is quite silly. But this kind of works.

Things that don't work... RC control trucks. I once tried to use my RC control truck to play with me sisters dog. He was completely scared of it mostly because of the sound it made. Then I used the truck on three kitties. They thought it was an interesting object that needed to be observed at all times, but from a high vantage point. The cats seemed to instantly realize that the RC truck was limited to travel on the ground and that they could easily escape it. It was a curiosity that they were neither afraid of nor wanted to play with.

I used to work on computers around kitties. I'd be sitting on the floor with a tower PC case open. Little Grey Kitty (codename StinkerPie) would come over and instantly want to paw at the cables in the PC.

Then there was the "walking the cat" experiment. You get one of these cat harnesses and try to train the cat to walk on a leash. I suppose with the right cat it can be done... but it will never be as rewarding as walking the dog.... so what's the point. It's a test of wills and the cat is going to win.

So, I'd vote for "decoy" cable. Give them 50 cables/ropes hanging from the ceiling off in the corner of a room. It'll be like a kitty playground.

Then DIY them a little Cat Amusement park. It should be like a miniature house or like a kid's "Fort".

Ummm...

Whenever I used to try and hiss at the cats, they'd hiss back and the fight was on. You don't want to provoke a cat.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a bit about the intellectual needs. :)
But do realize that cats are still some of the smartest house pets that there are. That's why they get angry when you pat them like you pat some dogs. :)

The dangling cables seems like one of the best ideas, but at the same time you don't want something that your cat will try to swallow. Cats come in varieties, so your cat may not try to swallow cables that hang from the ceiling.

Originally posted by Daveis
So, I'd vote for "decoy" cable. Give them 50 cables/ropes hanging from the ceiling off in the corner of a room. It'll be like a kitty playground.

Then DIY them a little Cat Amusement park. It should be like a miniature house or like a kid's "Fort".

My favorite!

Certain cats I suppose just need their own private territory that they can just sleep in without being bothered. But if you constantly violate that space, then your cat will feel that it can never get away from you. If you promise something to your cat, keep that promise at all costs.

For constructing this, It would be best to cover the boards (plywood will work fine if it is constructed in "boxes" with openings leading to the surrounding boxes) with some type of heavy duty carpet or rug, just so that your cat doesn't slip off of the plyboard whenever it tries to pull itself up. Construct it as a simple fort would be, every "box" not having openings on all sides but have a slightly complex layout so that your cat has to use its brain. Remember, cats love high places! :devilr: hehe... That should be fun....

Oh, and most cats love to be brushed, so you might perhaps include a large brush secured to the wall in it's little "playground" so that it can attend to its own cosmetic needs. :)

Cats are cool. :cool:

- keantoken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.