philips VCR smps HELP!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2006, 06:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default philips VCR smps HELP!!!

hi all!
i've got some problems with a VCR...
when i connect it to the mains, it won't power up, but i can ear a sound from SMPS like bzzz...bzzz...bzzz...periodic with about 1 second period...everything looks ok...apart from the 56uF capacitor near the TDA(don't remember full code...) switching regulator that seems to have not so much life, but maybe it's just appearance...
anyone who got this problem?
any help is welcome!!!
Old 8th November 2006, 06:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I had a problem similar to his with my JVC VCR. It was fixed by replacing the output caps in the SMPS. They dry out, especially if the VCR is lefit in standby, as the power supply does not really shut down then. Newer supplies may be different, and actually go into some kind of power saving mode.
Old 8th November 2006, 06:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

many thanx!i've read right now in the web that the capacitor i told before sometimes causes this problem, but i will change output capacitors too to be sure!otherwise there are 5 or 6 different capacitors, 470uF each if i remember well...do i have to change all?
Old 8th November 2006, 06:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

All the ones on the output side - how would you test them, anyway? Switcher-quality electrolytics are cheap these days.

Hide this!Advertise here!