DVD Player & Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bimbla said:
I wonder why DVD Players do not have volume control either on the panel or on remote!

All thoughts welcome.

bimbla.

mostly because people use the digital out, and it is assumed the decoder / reciever will have a volume control of its own. adding a volume control would modify the digital signal and possibly degrade it from its original form coming off the CD. how many people do you know have a DVD player hooked up to something without a volume control =) -- it's really not much of an issue.

volume controls

Well, there's no answer to Why, but maybe we can do something about it.

Think about this-The new audio formats, SACD, DVD-audio, don't give you access to the digital outs, so a six channel vol. control is mandantory. Now I could have a B&K AV preamp model 30 for $1700, or then again maybe I couldn't!
In the bad old days, any analoge signal was redigitized at the reciever to be run thru the master chip, where attenuation was done digitally. And cheaply. YUK.
There are no motorized six-channel pots out there.
There is the AD 8400-8403, which is a one/four ch. IC atennuator. This looks good. It runs off of standard serial data input. So you can hack your own.
I have been trying to get interest going, since I lack the digi. skillls, and have posted an inquiry @ madisound. I'v got a few ideas up my sleeve too!>Doug

yes the SACD without a volume control is and will be an issue in the future. to combat this one of my professors back in college gave me the arduous task of creating a digital volume control for his new SACD player, using a microcontroller and digital pots. Just to **** me off, he had me make it 12 channels and throw in fully configureable crossovers, allit all uplinked through RS232 to his computer. there were over 500 vias and the board took up the entire bottom of a 2u rack unit. plus i graduated before one was actually built, so it probably didnt work... hehe

if i am correct, dvd audio is available on the digi-out? i thought it's just the SACD that only gives you the 6 channel analog.

bimbla said:
I wonder why DVD Players do not have volume control either on the panel or on remote!All thoughts welcome.
bimbla.

I am not a regular on this panel, insomnia makes me part of it this morning, but i am a bit astonished about this question.
I bought a dvd player ($69) on sale at bestbuy, a mintek 2110 with lots of options like dvd, vcd(v1.1 and v2.0), cd r, cd rw, Kodakphotocd and even karaoke function????, and

IT HAS A VOLUME CONTROLE ON THE REMOTE.

there is also suposed to be volume controle on the player itself, but for me, that is too complicated to find out.
oops almost forgot it also has a digital audio out, i supose for DTS cause that's wat the manual says , and the friendly person who tried to convice me to NOT buy this player, gave me a cd that i need to put in the payer for about 45 seconds, after that i can play whatever region dvdisc without obstruction.
I have no idea why he was trying to get us to buy a panasonic of $129.99 without the Kodakphotocd option as i told him we have lots of children and grandchildren all over the world and they send in a LOT OF pic cd's all year long!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.