What are your avatars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nick & avtar

from long time love of this: (never ending "hotrod" project).

Arne K

(special sound-effect; 302-V8/292° cam, "4-on-the floor"...)

Attachments

• 77m2cw.jpg
    77m2cw.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 575
Mine is a VF-143 "Pukin' Dogs" F-14. I was fortunate enough to fly Tomcats for almost 1,000 hours during my 24 year active/reserve Navy career before retiring from the service.

It took us a dozen or so loops in formation to get this almost vertical shot. We were somewhere in the Puerto Rican Op Area, IIRC. We saved gas for the whole hop so we could do this and head back to USS Boat. We couldn't bring the gas back aboard so at least we had some fun with it.

It was sad to see the Tomcat retired recently, but they were getting just too maintenance intensive. Eagles have been around as long, but don't get the beating we did on the carriers.

Bobellis
Tomcats were badass. Friend of mine was a crewchief for tomcats on the on the Nimitz. The future looks like F-22 Raptors and F-18 Superhornets.I was a intermediate level repair tech.ie backshopper. primary TEWS secondary all other manual and automatic test stations. Worked on F-15A,B,C,D,E & S's " S" Saudi and 6 red/white&blue F-16's Thunderbirds (DEEC TCTO). I was stationed at Eglin AFB,Florida / Bitburg AB,West Germany and Keflavik NAS.Iceland And also Saudi Arabia Desert Storm and Operation " Southern Watch". It was a real adventure, kinda miss it sometimes. Now I just build big amplifiers to PO my neighbors.:D

Mine is of the 1619 I.T. drivig 809 in A2, all DC heat, 3.1 watt/ch SET amp I cobbled together from almost entirely parts I had kicking around (only had to buy filament supply electrolytics) almost a year ago. Circuit is entirely my own parafeed, ultrapath, kinda monkey design. Best sounding tube amp I ever made.

Best sounding amp I own.

Sometimes one gets really lucky It sounded horrible at first light, like a Western Electric amplifier ``Number Please?``, but just a few short hours later playing with first stage pentode over to triode and developing a global NFB circuit with frequency tilt it sounded good in the lab and looked good on the o-scope. Packed it into the wooden base and shuffled it off to the house where once connected to my best speakers my sore jaw told me I had nailed it!. :smash: Haven`t touched it since. :D

Attachments

• glamor.jpg
    glamor.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 457
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.