restaurant music and paging needs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

First time posting here.

I'm looking to outfit my brother-in-laws restaurant with a Sirius sat. radio music solution that can allow for paging.

He's going to use a Sirius Sat Radio that I've got sitting around with an antenna ran to the roof. From there we need about 14-16 speakers w/ volume control and some form of amplifier to power them.

Any ideas for the amp and the type of speakers needed to do it cheap but with a fair amount of quality?

Thanks in advance !!

later.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With that type of system and that many speakers, 70 volt systems are usually built.

You might do some reading up on 70V systems and also see what the suppliers have. For example http://www.partsexpress.com/ where you can search for "70 volts".

Also see http://www.technec.com/ and http://www.markertek.com/ among many others.

It doesn't have to be 70V, but that is often the easiest way with lots of speakers.

I would suggest designing the system for what we call light background music and paging. Commercial 70 volt systems are highly recommended for a number of reasons. They do away with the need to series parallel the loads in order to try to mate them up to an 8 ohm amplifier. With 70 volt systems there isn't any need for large gauge wire since the voltage is increased in order to drive long distances thus 18ga wire is all that is needed. Speakers need to be 70.7 type with a stepdown transformer that allows the tap to be set as needed.

Very simple

1.) Amplifier 70 volt type with mic input and music input.
2.) 18 gauge Plenum wire
3.) Grills, commercial speakers(70 volt), back cans, and T-bridges.
4.) Volume controls for the various areas.
5.) Page microphone either Shure gooseneck or handheld.
6.) TPA-1 to allow telephone paging thru system. TPA allows telco page into a standard mic input.

Amplifiers

I would suggest at least a 60 to 75 watt amplifier because they have a heavier built output stage than some of the smaller amplifiers.

Examples of good commercial amplifiers

TOA 906 Series II, TOA 912 Series II, Peavey UMA 75T II, Peavey UMA 150T

I would suggest staying away from the cheaper amplifiers like Bogan and Clarity. Absolutely NO RAT SHACK!

Amplifiers can be purchased on ebay for a song and a dance. The same thing goes for Commercial speakers, grills,backcans, and T-bridges.

Drop me a line...I have done thousands of commercial systems and would be more than happy to help you out.

Would anybody but me consider active speaker systems? Oh, I'd quite likely finish up with a high impedance system as previously suggested (though in europe it's 100 volt rather than 70) but I'd certainly look into amplified speakers.
While it would invove getting power to each point (normally fairly simple) with balanced line level signals you can work without screened cable (ordinary telephone twin) and a volume control on each speaker makes it much easier to model the sound by region, relative to multitapped stepdown transformers or wirewound power pots.

chrispenycate said:
Would anybody but me consider active speaker systems? Oh, I'd quite likely finish up with a high impedance system as previously suggested (though in europe it's 100 volt rather than 70) but I'd certainly look into amplified speakers.
While it would invove getting power to each point (normally fairly simple) with balanced line level signals you can work without screened cable (ordinary telephone twin) and a volume control on each speaker makes it much easier to model the sound by region, relative to multitapped stepdown transformers or wirewound power pots.

IMO, when talking about commercial distributed systems, 70V / 100V systems have the least number of drawbacks when all things are considered.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.