restaurant music and paging needs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2006, 01:55 AM   #1
nvncibl is offline nvncibl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default restaurant music and paging needs

Hi guys,

First time posting here.

I'm looking to outfit my brother-in-laws restaurant with a Sirius sat. radio music solution that can allow for paging.

He's going to use a Sirius Sat Radio that I've got sitting around with an antenna ran to the roof. From there we need about 14-16 speakers w/ volume control and some form of amplifier to power them.

Any ideas for the amp and the type of speakers needed to do it cheap but with a fair amount of quality?

Thanks in advance !!

later.
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

With that type of system and that many speakers, 70 volt systems are usually built.

You might do some reading up on 70V systems and also see what the suppliers have. For example http://www.partsexpress.com/ where you can search for "70 volts".

Also see http://www.technec.com/ and http://www.markertek.com/ among many others.

It doesn't have to be 70V, but that is often the easiest way with lots of speakers.
Old 17th November 2006, 11:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

A 70 volt system is the way to go for any commercial system here in the states.

Send me an email and I will give you some ideas and help you figure your needs.
Old 19th November 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would suggest designing the system for what we call light background music and paging. Commercial 70 volt systems are highly recommended for a number of reasons. They do away with the need to series parallel the loads in order to try to mate them up to an 8 ohm amplifier. With 70 volt systems there isn't any need for large gauge wire since the voltage is increased in order to drive long distances thus 18ga wire is all that is needed. Speakers need to be 70.7 type with a stepdown transformer that allows the tap to be set as needed.

Very simple

1.) Amplifier 70 volt type with mic input and music input.
2.) 18 gauge Plenum wire
3.) Grills, commercial speakers(70 volt), back cans, and T-bridges.
4.) Volume controls for the various areas.
5.) Page microphone either Shure gooseneck or handheld.
6.) TPA-1 to allow telephone paging thru system. TPA allows telco page into a standard mic input.

Amplifiers

I would suggest at least a 60 to 75 watt amplifier because they have a heavier built output stage than some of the smaller amplifiers.

Examples of good commercial amplifiers

TOA 906 Series II, TOA 912 Series II, Peavey UMA 75T II, Peavey UMA 150T

I would suggest staying away from the cheaper amplifiers like Bogan and Clarity. Absolutely NO RAT SHACK!

Amplifiers can be purchased on ebay for a song and a dance. The same thing goes for Commercial speakers, grills,backcans, and T-bridges.

Drop me a line...I have done thousands of commercial systems and would be more than happy to help you out.
Old 22nd November 2006, 08:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Would anybody but me consider active speaker systems? Oh, I'd quite likely finish up with a high impedance system as previously suggested (though in europe it's 100 volt rather than 70) but I'd certainly look into amplified speakers.
While it would invove getting power to each point (normally fairly simple) with balanced line level signals you can work without screened cable (ordinary telephone twin) and a volume control on each speaker makes it much easier to model the sound by region, relative to multitapped stepdown transformers or wirewound power pots.
Old 22nd November 2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by chrispenycate
Would anybody but me consider active speaker systems? Oh, I'd quite likely finish up with a high impedance system as previously suggested (though in europe it's 100 volt rather than 70) but I'd certainly look into amplified speakers.
While it would invove getting power to each point (normally fairly simple) with balanced line level signals you can work without screened cable (ordinary telephone twin) and a volume control on each speaker makes it much easier to model the sound by region, relative to multitapped stepdown transformers or wirewound power pots.

IMO, when talking about commercial distributed systems, 70V / 100V systems have the least number of drawbacks when all things are considered.

Hide this!Advertise here!