Welcome Lowe's (buying stock for speaker cabinets)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jeez,

I hadn't been over to the other side of town for a couple
weeks and now there's a Lowe's pretty much gone up and open.

What are the advantages of going there rather than Home Depot?

Locally we have 2 other big box suppliers for farm and fleet
and hardware plus the usual run of lumber stock suppliers like
Wickes and Stock.

I think you will find similar materials in them all.

I think you may find the greatest advantage in any of the stores is with the individual who assists you. Especially if they cut material for you. You (we all) need someone who pays attention to what they are doing and knows how the saw works.

Let them know before any cuts are made how close they need to be. If they hesitate, consider trying another store.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm a Lowes fan - having done a good bit of work for Lowes corporate. I like them. Will agree with gychang on the stores. Lowes at least has a policy of keeping the stores clean. Prices seem a tiny bit higher.

We have both stores here on my little island. Home Depot is bigger, but Lowes has a much better saw. :)

Lowe's versus Home Depot? The choice is easy, it doesn't matter, they both carry pretty much the same thing, and the price differences aren't really worth worrying about. If you're trying to decide which to buy lumber from, that's even easier, neither. Go to the lumber yards you mentioned. Lowe's and Home Depot are oriented towards the DIY market in home improvement, they're very poor when it comes to doing things like speakers, furniture and things like that. Their sheet good selection is lousy and pricey, their lumber selection is even worse. I shop at them for my theatre work, and home improvement work, if I'm doing my furniture designs or things like that, I go elsewhere.

Personally, I shop Lowes, because they're closer, and we have a tax ID with them for the theatre. Beyond that, they both are real hit or miss when it comes to help or speed of getting in and out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.