DIY rapid prototyping mahine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should soon find myself in possession of a small cnc three axis machine. it is very well constructed however probably not tough enough for much milling and besides milling is messy.

The first decision will be what technology to use. Lasers may be prohibitively expensive at first so sheet cutting and laser curing may be out of the question.

I like the idea of an injection system either incecting cyanoacrylate into a water bath or uv curing resin onto the tray lit by a uv lamp.

Does anybody have any good ideas?
Thanks

Wax. One of the guys here had a tiny prototype camera body made on a 3-d wax printer. This was then turned into metal by investment casting. The printer was capable of producing 12um features
You would need a heater, hollow needle, some kind of pump/valve thingy, and investment casting wax, which could be just polyethylene dissolved in paraffin candle wax.

Theres also EDM, which would let you make things from very hard metals. EDM circuits can be DIY'd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.