Starting project needed... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2006, 06:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Starting project needed...

I just got a soldering station hooked up (not the brand). Look at my thread here for an idea of what I have:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...71#post1039071

I am needing an idea of what to make first, hopefully a simple but good preamp or something like that. It needs to be possible to point-to-point solder it because I don't have a way of making boards yet .

Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 28th October 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi
how about:-
a 12way stepped attenuator.
If you gang two together, you can get small steps over a large range of attenuation.
I saw one recently that used a pair of 12step as a mono fed from a 6step that was stereo. So just three knobs for a -60db range in 1db steps and with a fine balance control built in.

If this is a success you can build opamp or discrete buffers to condition the signal into and out of the attenuator.

Voila, a pre-amp!
Old 28th October 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sounds simple enough... Is an attenuator like a POT except with switches with pre-defined resistances? All I have in my area for components is Radio Shack and North Texas Distributers...
I have a profound lack of knowledge, yet in some cases I know much more than the average person... It's just how my brain clicks, I guess...
Old 28th October 2006, 10:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

This is a great kit and will give you lots of good soldering practice.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th October 2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Small projects are invaluable in helping you establish new sources for components etc... basic things like vero/stripboards can be usefull for prototyping small circuits without haveing to straight away learn how to produce PCBs (I admit, even with haveing the facilities for photoetching, I still end up doing most of my PCBs with a black marker.

I would suggest once you have some stripboard you tackle some battery driven stuff like headphone amps... once again, invaluable lessons and practice in soldering cheap components before you get to the bigger stuff... those kind of circuits are much more resilient and can deal with reversed polarities and all kinds of newbie mistakes without letting the smoke out of $10 chips...

When you move on to bigger things small mistakes can be very disheartening, costly or even lethal.

I started with chipamps then did a valve based circuit and then went back to battery powered circuits, now I feel I have things under control... suddenly accurate measuring tools have value to me whereas in the past they were just used to identify components quickly and take the odd voltage measurement, and I have a burning desire for a scope as I now not only understand what I can do with it, but can atualy see myself using it to clear up stuff which is basicaly guesswork without it.

Oh as for a bigger project, my first P2P was Nuuk's IGC
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/...gainclone.html

Welcome to a very rewarding hobby, been at it for a bit more than a year... and my house is slowly filling up with usefull completed projects...

Hide this!Advertise here!