Am I obsessed with my hobby? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Am I obsessed with my hobby?

I am not sure if this is the section to post this so please be kind. I am wondering if my electronics hobby is taking over my life??? all i want to do is sit down and design / build / test electronic circuits. I am finding less and less time for my girlfriend and I end up telling her "just another minute" then 2 hours later i realize what time it is. I was just wondering if any of you out there in relationships have dealt with this, and how do you manage your time between yout carrers and life to work on big electronic projects.

Sorry for the somewhat sappy thread.
Old 26th October 2006, 08:15 PM   #2
hongrn is offline hongrn  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Right now she demands attention because you guys are still dating. If you want more time on your hands, just marry her, wait a few years, then she'll completely ignore you. By then, just lock yourself in the garage, and work on your projects. Dang, I can be a professional hobby counselor on the side...

Hong - married and enjoying hobby.
Old 26th October 2006, 08:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
get married, have children, renovate house, work... try that and do electronics :-)

I still manage to do some electronic bizzo from about 9pm to midnight some nights, then sleep till 5am then 3yr old child wakes you up, then it's all on...

it's a mater of priorety, if designing circuits is more interesting than you GF, then maybe get another GF , unless she's happy with what you do, then hang onto that one.
Old 26th October 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I don't think my wife would know what to do with me if I actualy got up from here and joined her infront of the TV...

The alternative is you could have been out in a bar or somewhere where she has no idea where you are or that you are safe... In the long run, if she is worth it she will see this for herself, so no need to point it out to her.
Old 26th October 2006, 10:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

excellent points, i'll pop the question tonight..... lol just kidding. seriously, I guess i'll just have to manage my time better, still not quite sure on that. She's been good to me for the past 2 years, better not screw it up know
Old 26th October 2006, 10:16 PM   #6
ReidK is offline ReidK  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

-Dave Barry
Old 26th October 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Women can please you in ways electronics can't I do this exact same thing with my girlfriend sometimes: "I end up telling her "just another minute" then 2 hours later i realize what time it is." It's ok to do it once in a while but you have to realize what's really important in life. You can always get back into this hobby, you can't always get back with a girl...
Old 26th October 2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

As long as I'm in the garage, she knows where I am and what I'm doing.

and

She has full control of the remote.

Welcome to the dark side.
Old 26th October 2006, 11:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you sometimes would like to do something else, but all in all you end up in your garage with soldering iron, than something's wrong with you.
Otherwise not.
Old 27th October 2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hey, were not always soldering.

Sometimes we're sanding.

Or sawing or painting or gluing or...

hey, anything beats the W channel

You're right, we really should get out.

Hide this!Advertise here!