Filler for mitered wood edges that aren't flush?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Working with African Mahogany. I've got maybe a 1/16" gap on 2 mitered corners. Started using one of those colored wax pencils, but not sure this is going to fill it. Also, I mis-drilled a screw hole and need to fill it as well. I'm only using a thin resin-based lacquer (dammar crystals dissolved in turpentine). Any advise on what to use to fill?

I'd probably use a solvent based wood filler, like Famowood(which is available in Mahogany). Solvent based wood fillers typically dry very quickly, stain well, and are rarely affected by finish. I'm not familiar with the type of finish you're using but many(such as shellac) can be mixed with sawdust and used to fill cracks, but generally speaking it isn't as easy to use, nor as reliable.

a 1/16th is a pretty big gap -- you might want to consider getting a better miter attachment and a better saw blade -- the other thing to consider is whether (in the future) you couldn't make a better joint with a router and a 45 degree bevel bit, together with a regular 3/8" bit.

Attachments

• miter.gif
    miter.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 60
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.