Why is the cap still so hot? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2006, 10:32 PM   #1
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Why is the cap still so hot?

My router/modem runs from a 9V 9VA AC wart, and has its own bridge rectifier and 1000uF 16V 150°C smoothing cap; this feeds a couple of regulators, 3.3V and 5V.

The original no-name cap showed swelling after some months in service so I replaced it with a low-ESR 1000uF 25V I had in stock; runs fine, but too hot to touch for more than a second. OK, it's 105°C rated and the ripple spec is 1.7A so maybe I should ignore it, but I had the thought to feed the bridge with regulated and smoothed 12V DC from another adaptor (9V RMS = 12V peak, near enough), thinking the cap temperature would show a big drop; it didn't, still too hot to touch. I've dropped the supply to a regulated 9V DC, feeding the bridge input, the router runs fine but the cap's still hot. (Regulators are a lot cooler though )

What's going on? Do the bridge diodes in each supply rail between the caps prevent the adaptor smoothing and router smoothing from "sharing" the heat produced, or am I misunderstanding why a smoothing cap gets hot?
Old 12th October 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Silly question. It's not connected the wrong way round is it?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th October 2006, 10:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe the cap gets hot because it is so close to the transformer inside a little wall wart with no ventilation.

I_F
Old 12th October 2006, 10:59 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
could the bridge be shorted?
Feeding AC directly into the cap?
What voltage is on the cap?
Old 12th October 2006, 11:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Silly question. It's not connected the wrong way round is it?
I just repaired a Rega radio which had reversed caps ( from factory ). Simple but effective error.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

No red herrings - nothing wrong with the cap wiring, the hot cap is in the router, not the wart; it's its own heat, not picked up from adjacent components, the warts get warm (as they usually do when on 24/7) but they're sealed units so I can't say what temperature the wart caps are running at.

At 12V DC input I've used both SMPS and 50Hz linear supplies, no apparent difference.

Obviously to rate a cap at 105°C it's expected to run hot; I'm just surprised that post-smoothing a regulated voltage still gives such a rise.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:32 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, the 105C rating is for caps placed in hot environments- it shouldn't generate much heat of its own unless there are enormous ripple currents or oscillations. Or if the cap is leaky, which might be the issue here.
Old 13th October 2006, 08:44 AM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

If the power supply is of the type SMPS caps get warm or even hot, nothing peculiar.

How hot is the cap really?
Old 14th October 2006, 03:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
No, the 105C rating is for caps placed in hot environments- it shouldn't generate much heat of its own unless there are enormous ripple currents or oscillations.
Surely not the only reason for using 105°C caps? I can't think of too many environments that hot. My motherboard certainly isn't and it's crowded with them.

Maybe the high-frequency on/off loading of a wholly digital circuit?

I guesstimate "idle" temp as around 60°C (140°F), several degrees hotter during prolonged downloading. Not alarming, but routers are on 24/7 and cap life goes down with temp head. Plus routers seem to be the one PC peripheral that often fails, judging by any "What's a good router?" thread elsewhere.
Old 14th October 2006, 04:34 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I can't think of too many environments that hot.
No, but in an elevated temperature situation (for example, tube amps or some of the solid state class A space heaters, where 80 degrees is not out of the question), they'll last longer than the lower temp rated caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!