Ruben's tube with water?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I've recently developed an interest in reallife music visualiztation techniques and have dreamed of having a Ruben's tube hooked up in my living room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpovwbPGEoo if you're not familiar with it). Obviously rather unsafe for such a setting with the fire and whatnot, I was wondering: would it be possible to create a ruben's tube effect with water?

I would think it would be possible (while likely less responsive than the gas), but I'd love some input on it if I could. I tried searching but there is little on the subject, making me wonder if its impossible or just never been done.

Thanks!

I would think you could but assuming your intending to mount the speaker to the water it would have to be completely waterproof and due to its higher density would require alot more displacement. Perhaps something like a 4" pvc pipe with a .25" opening along the top edge with clear sides?

Thanks for the responses.

Any ideas on waterproofing a speaker? That seems to be the biggest wrench in the idea at the moment. I'd be willing to experiment and see what I can come out with, but I don't know much about the initial steps.

I imagine a low frequency speaker would not have much of a spectrum show up, so it would be a little less spectacular. Although I do plan on using one of those for a supporting visualization display. Going to try creating a thin film of falling water on a sheet of plexiglass(?) and have the bass vibrate the sheet. I'm hoping it will provide some interesting ripple patterns.

Again, thanks for the interest.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool idea to try water! Hope you get it to work.

Remember that the Ruben's tube works with standing waves, and the speed of sound is about 4X faster in water than in air, so the waves will be 4X longer.

That might help you to calculate what frequncies will show up on your tube. And also what the resolution of the tube will be, based on how far apart the holes are.

Let us know what you come up with. We want to see video!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.