Does anyone record off the radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2006, 12:01 PM   #1
twenty is offline twenty  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Does anyone record off the radio

as the heading says??

i have a favorite program, that runs from 10 pm till 1 am. does anyone have a good method for recoring these kind of things. tape only got for half the show, not good enough....

maybe a hard drive device??

any idea are much appreciated
Old 9th October 2006, 12:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Something like this might be the answer.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th October 2006, 01:08 PM   #3
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

a nice hifi vcr on ep sounds good also

Old 9th October 2006, 01:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would use the line input to a PC soundcard, for recoding that length of time, with a program to record it running. there are many out there, and a web search will turn some up. The most difficult bit here is to find the cables to connect your stereo and your PC.

Alternatively, a twin-well auto-reverse cassette deck will do 3hrs
(c90 tapes) or 4 hrs(c120 tapes). The decks are not easy to find, and the quality is not too brilliant, but they do work. The leaders on the tapes will leave gaps in your recording though.

James
Old 9th October 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
A 10.5" open reel tape deck will do 3 hours on one side at 3.75IPS. Sound quality is good on some of the better decks. I use a Technics 1500 and a Sony 755, both very good machines.
Old 9th October 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A large number of broadcasters put their programmes on the Internet these days. If your show is available that way, it's the easiest way to record it (I use Audacity for such things). Not the last word in hi-fi, but acceptable for most purposes.
Old 10th October 2006, 04:24 AM   #7
twenty is offline twenty  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrevillug
I would use the line input to a PC soundcard, for recoding that length of time, with a program to record it running. there are many out there, and a web search will turn some up. The most difficult bit here is to find the cables to connect your stereo and your PC.

Alternatively, a twin-well auto-reverse cassette deck will do 3hrs
(c90 tapes) or 4 hrs(c120 tapes). The decks are not easy to find, and the quality is not too brilliant, but they do work. The leaders on the tapes will leave gaps in your recording though.

James

could you use the speaker output jack with a mirco phone input jack on the soundcard???

what software would you need???
Old 6th November 2006, 02:24 PM   #8
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Twenty. I take a lead from the tape monitor out from the old NAD tuner/amp, to line in on the sound card. That allows me to digitally record anything going through the amp. A lead from line out on the sound card to the tape in on the amp, and you can monitor everything through the sound system.

The software I prefer is Soundforge, which Sony acquired some time ago. Try for the earlier versions circa 99. That will run on a cell 500 with no probs.

Some cd recording software has a wave editor included. Nero wave editor is easy to use.

If you want quality recordings, you may need a dedicated sound card, rather than a on-board chipset.
Old 6th November 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

heres an idea...
Get a cheap TV card...
Most of them can also receive radio signals...
It should come with software that you'd be alble to set a time to start recording with.. alternatively there are 3rd party programes.

This will tend to have build in compression codecs allowing you to save disk space...
Old 7th November 2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I like the Hi-Fi VCR option or the TV card for the PC.

Done both, they work well. I used to make long mix tapes on Hi-Fi VHS back before the MP3 craze. Even did location recording with it.

The TV card is going to be easier, once you get it all set up. A great idea!

EDIT:
That USB radio that pink mouse linked to looks like the deal.

Hide this!Advertise here!