Keep track of your papers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all,

Through the years I have collected a lot of articles, circuits, studies, data sheets, what have you. Most in electronic format. Still, finding a document that you *think* you have on the PC is not easy sometimes.

My question is: do you have a system or software to keep track of stuff, to do indexing so you can browse a list, or do you have a smart system of filing or what?

How do you cope?

Jan Didden

I have the same problem.
I have lot of folders dedicated to specific topics. For example a particular design with all related diagrams and text material from various sources about that design will be in one folder. Sometimes even pdf files of parts will sit in that folder. Unfortunately such PDF files could be duplicated in other folders. I never get round to searching other folders for 'that' PDF. End result is a huge collection of folders !

Any easy to use software would be helpful. I've never really looked for one but would like to know what others use and how they rate it.
Cheers,
Ashok.

davidallancole said:
I use a smart filing system. Amplifier schematics are all in one folder, info on discrete op-amps is in one folder and so one. It works nice, but takes a little time to set up initialy.

I use a similar system. Folders such as power amplifiers, speakers, etc with appropriate sub-folders. File naming plays a big part in indexing and being able to search as well.

janneman said:
How do you cope?

I don't, not on a 3-level 7-desktop/1-laptop home network.
Tried the folder system thingy, but i lack computer organising skills. More folders mean more searching.
I've installed Google desktop that will also find misplaced files. Going for an external harddrive, named The Audio Encyclopedia.

(Let's not discuss the paper jungle. 400 square feet of barn attic is stuffed with cardboard boxes, the Mainframe. I'm a *****in librarian)
My solution would be a wellbuilt secretary who enjoys scanning and hankypanky. :clown:

My question is: do you have a system or software to keep track of stuff,
to do indexing so you can browse a list, or do you have
a smart system of filing ?

Whatever stuff is produced
you can bet your last dime,
there is at least 1 person involved = behind it

So I use a system Where Persons Are Resposable for:
papers, schmematics, opinions, hypothesis, advices.
No matter if stuff is:
crazy, sound and good, stupid, standard and dangerous! or unique

my system associates any stuff to an origin, root
which in 100.1% of all cases is one person, or two persons

this does not always mean
that this person created the original stuff
but maybe only re-discovered or pointed to it

Naturally this does not include for all those persons
I have on Ignore in this forum.
But does not matter much to me:
I probably wouldnt trust their stuff for worth 0.05 €uro, anyway

I dare to say, I dont miss very much, by excluding some stupidiothy.

regards
lineup
http://lineup.awardspace.com/

See a part of my system here, in attached capture of it!
C:\My Documents\
.......\diyaudio-persons\
..............\Babowana\
..............\BasHorneman\
etc
etc

Attachments

• diypersons2.png
    diypersons2.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 97
If you want to have it very serious you could create a Filemaker database and use a plug-in called File. It's a pretty easy solution if you have all your files in a certain place and don't move them around.

I use Filemaker and File at work, very neat I must say.

If you happen to use a Mac you will have a very advanced search function (compared to the joke on a PC). My 233 MHz Mac can search in 10000 files in a few seconds and a new Mac even faster and I mean inside the files, not only the filenames.

Jan, have you checked my bookmark software (see my sig below), very neat since you can add multiple categories. You must have a webserver though.

:)

hey, peranders

there has been some negatives said about you and your stuff
but ...

if anybody is interested in
A Really good audio links Collection
where you also easily can submit your website

You would go have a look at peranders page:
:cool: Sjostrom Audio - Bookmarks - Root :cool:

Lets call what is good by its proper name: good
no matter what other subjective opinions we might have in our minds

lineup :) staying faithfully true to his own opinions and findings
http://lineup.awardspace.com/

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Keep track of your papers?

lineup said:
[snip]See a part of my system here, in attached capture of it!
C:\My Documents\
.......\diyaudio-persons\
..............\Babowana\
..............\BasHorneman\
etc
etc

Well, that's fine and dandy, but I would search for subject, or issues, like "current conveyor" or "miller capacitor". Not on persons. In a very few case that may be the case, for instance if I need to read up on error correction I know I will probably find it in a Hawksford paper, but that is the exception.

It's nice to trust people but that doesn't mean they are factually correct all the time. Often it is the irritating prick that is right....:D

Jan Didden

There was a link collection here but it vanished and I was one of the few who added links. Now I have my own in a better way than before when I had an offline database which I uploaded, not so convenient. Since I have become interested in sql/php software like Mambo things have become much easier to make it online, easy to edit.

Anyone is welcome to add links and if I notice some responsible person he may also get permission to approve them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.