And now for something completely different....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Circlotron said:

Neither. Not an evolutionist. Not a creationist who AFAIK will try and tell you that the earth and the rest of the universe was made in 6 or 7 days of 24 hours each. I don't think so. I believe the Bible account where it say "In the beginning God made the heavens and the earth". After that had been accomplished the earth could have easily sat around for billions of years cooling down etc just like geologists tell us from the stuff they dig up. Then the earth was prepared for habitation in six defined periods of time referred to figuratively as "days", the length of which could easily have been many thousands of years. In fact according to that timetable the seventh day is still progressing now. I believe the account of the appearance of the first man and woman. What's impossible with that?

Not impossible at all. It makes a lot more sense to me than a pure creationist view. What I see different is the appearance of the first man and woman. Unless you adhere to creation here, it would be the outcome of a (gradual) evolutionary process, which in fact is still going on (western man getting taller and taller gradually). That brings me back to my earlier posts, that for me the situation of mankind has been a lot worse in the past than it is now, and not the reverse, that we come from a paradise situation and have been going downhill.

In the final analysis, I think whatever you believe (and I noted that you use "believe" often, as is your right), what counts is that you are true to your beliefs, accept the consequences and live by it to the best of your abilities.

Jan Diddern

Hi,

Circlotron said:

Well then, if the Bible really has been tampered with then it wouldn't really be a book that God organised because you wouldn't think that he could create the whole universe but be unable to keep a single written record on the straight and narrow.

I do not presume to know what the divine power can do and cannot nor what it intends. But if you read todays bible you read the result of a commitee deciding which books should be in the bible and which should not be, many books appear in todays printed bible consoderably different than they did in earlier manuscrips (especially the dead sea scrolls).

If he found it necessary to have certain things recorded for the benefit of those that would take the time to read it then do you think he would then allow it to get permanently corrupted? If it is not a book from him then it doesn't really matter.

This raises larger issues. I said before that the test for inspired (by the divine) writing is it's applicability on three levels, much of the Bible passes, but some books clearly do not pass, further a number of books excluded from the Bible pass the test. If one desires to turely know and understand a diligent study of not only the Bible but also of many other inspired wrtings becomes neccesary.

If a given writing is inspired by divine power does that mean it is a "message" from the divine? If so, can we justify the limitation of such writings and the act of choosing one inspired for inclusion in a canon but not another? Further, if the writing is in a language we do not speak, are translation still inspired writing?

Why would the Catholic Church during the previously mentioned Inquisitions go around killing people to prevent them reading it if it were only a book that some men wrote?

The Spanish inquisition (and that in other countries) was much less concerend with people reading the Bible but with heretics such as gnostics, people who where into folk magic, jews and the like.

Anyway, who expects the spanish inquisition?

It would have no real authority at all.

Does it have authority in itself, other than that authority that you ascribe to it based on your beliefes? Please note that I do not dispute the divine origin of most of the ORIGINAL biblical writings nor do I claim that is not invested with some authority, but it is far from this unfallable and unquestionable sole and complete work of comunicating divine wisdom to mankind you make it out to be.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
[The Bible] is far from this unfallable and unquestionable sole and complete work of comunicating divine wisdom to mankind you make it out to be.
I bet that's a relief to those who refuse to conform their lives to the direction and principles it contains. And often it's these kind of people that make the loudest claims that it is such.:rolleyes:

Hi,

Circlotron said:

I bet that's a relief to those who refuse to conform their lives to the direction and principles it contains. And often it's these kind of people that make the loudest claims that it is such.:rolleyes:

You BET? You don't seem to take the Bible a lot less serious than I do. I did not claim the principles in the Bible not to be applicable, I noted that the Bible MISSED crucial material that has been edited out. Remember the words Jesus said about the narrow mountain path.... Not only is it not easy to walk, it also not easy to find. But please continue to conform with the "moral majority" and suit yourself.

Jesus taught us how to transform ourselfs from common metal into gold, he taught us how to utilise and reach out full potential. But it takes diligent enquiry and work, not the following of pat phrases and claims of authenticity that are easily dispelled in the light.

Sayonara.

YHShVH Mihi Omnia

L.'.V.'.X.'.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001

Attachments

• spanish inquisitiion iii part 2.gif
    spanish inquisitiion iii part 2.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.