Crazy TV Dangers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The comments about Beryllium oxide (BeO) were particularly sobering.

Beryllium oxide (BeO) or beryllia, found in some power transistors, transistor and valve bases, VHF ‘ceramic’ transmitting triodes and klystrons, is very nasty stuff (if you inhale just a few micrograms, you could be dead in a week or two). Luckily, if you avoid filing, sanding, or smashing the stuff, you are quite safe in handling it – large chunks are safe, micro-sized particles are dangerous. ... why all the fuss? Easy—the dust is extremely toxic when inhaled. It sets up an inflammatory reaction in the lungs. This leads to progressive pulmonary fibrosis where the lungs scar up and lose the sponginess essential to their function, and then you die of slow suffocation. A minute amount is enough to trigger the process and there is precious little treatment short of lung transplantation.

Ouch. Maybe I'll stick to sillipads.

Phil

Beryllium

There was a company, Brush, in Cleveland OH -- they were the largest producers of beryllium and my uncle used to have a lot of their workers as patients. Yeah, it's bad stuff, but some of the affects are reversible -- here's a link to the EPA's website on Beryllium Oxide:
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/berylliu.html

<p>About 20 years ago an enlisted man used a beryllium coated grate (from an aerospace facility) to grill hot dogs. He didn't last very long afterwards.

Remember as late as 2001 engine components of F1 cars were also built from Beryllium. Luckily they outlawed Beryllium's use in both the chassis and engine. Before F1 outlawed beryllium there were a few cases of fibrosis :(

What's weird about beryllium as I understand it, is that it acts like an allergen, some people are affected while others seem to go unaffected inhaling the same amount...

I'll tell you what else is really bad I've had to play with (purify) is cadmium disolved in mercury :xeye: When you get into heavy metals they tend to accumulate in the body and not go away. And to think in middle age Europe they used Mercury as a laxative :eek:

There a lot of nasty chemicals and compounds out there that can kill you quickly. Look at something like Ricin; if you weigh 220 pounds (100 kg) it only takes 0.2 milligrams to kill you :bigeyes:

There is something called the LD 50. LD means lethal dose, 50 means 50%, or 50% of the rats they give the drug to dies at said dosage level. The units of the LD 50 are unit of wieght of drug per unit of weight of the subject.

LD 50 Beryllium Oxide is about 0.5 mg/kg
LD 50 of Ricin is about 2 ug/kg, over 200 times as toxic as Beryllium oxide
LD 50 of marijuana (THC) is about 150mg/kg
LD 50 for orally administered Mercury, 41mg/kg

Mercury is less dangerous than most people assume, it's when the Mercury becomes organically bound or gets other metals dissolved in it that it becomes dangerous. Also, avoid any organically bound tin, it sounds harmless enough but is very deadly.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Corn-Picker said:
There is something called the LD 50. LD means lethal dose, 50 means 50%, or 50% of the rats they give the drug to dies at said dosage level. The units of the LD 50 are unit of wieght of drug per unit of weight of the subject.

LD 50 of marijuana (THC) is about 150mg/kg

There are 2.2 pounds per kilogram. Figuring the average guy as 175 pounds, that is 80 kilograms.

There are about 28 grams per ounce. There are 1000 mg per per gram.

So what you are saying is that a lethal dose of marijuana, for a 175 lb man, is 43 percent of an ounce.

If that is true, there are a great many dead people walking amongst us.

Mercury

didn't I mention this -- the term "Mad as a hatter" came from the fact that organo-metallic compounds (mercury containing) were used by tanners and gave rise to the dementia they experienced.

and who can forget W. Eugene Smith's pictures of "Minimata" which appeared in Life Magazine in the 1960's -- children paralyzed from the mercury in electrodes used to separate chlorine and caustic soda in Japan.

If you spill mercury, don't vacuum it up.

Circlotron said:

What about foodstuffs packaged in tin-coated mild steel cans? Is that an issue? Would the acidity of the contents matter?

That should be safe.

I can't remember the exact tin compound's name, but I remeber that the guys who worked in the lab kept some stored in a small plastic bottle in a refrigerator, a refrigerator were they also kept their sandwiches, they all died.

Joined 2001
Haldor:

Thanks for the link. I kind of figured that Corn Picker meant pure THC, but there was some ambiguity the way he wrote it.

I think it is a pity that Corn Picker included marijuana in his post becasue the rest of his post was so very good. His bringing up of heavy metal poisoning, cadmium especially, is a very good point. The stuff is deadly, and it is used as a coating on many structural steel pieces. A friend of mine, an ironworker, has some evidence of it, and trying to get tested for it is very hard.

I really do think that heavy metal poisoning from berrylium, lead, cadmium and other sources is a scandal that is going to erupt some day. Taking Vitamin C and a zinc tablet tends to get excess lead out of the system over time-whether it works for the other heavy metals, I do not know. But there are a lot of people who worked in industry who are walking around with heavy metal poisoning, do not know it, and are suffering needlessly because nobody sends them to get tested for it.

kelticwizard said:
Haldor:

Thanks for the link. I kind of figured that Corn Picker meant pure THC, but there was some ambiguity the way he wrote it.

I think it is a pity that Corn Picker included marijuana in his post becasue the rest of his post was so very good. His bringing up of heavy metal poisoning, cadmium especially, is a very good point. The stuff is deadly, and it is used as a coating on many structural steel pieces. A friend of mine, an ironworker, has some evidence of it, and trying to get tested for it is very hard.

I only meant to include marijuana for perspective. I 100% believe that a little THC will not hurt a person, and I'm definitely not comparing THC to a poison. I was just trying to give an LD 50 of a chemical that people have "everyday" experience with.

Luckily, not many people have experience with cadmium. The crucial difference between cadmium and THC is that THC dissipates from your system; heavy metals tend to stick with you for life or disappear very slowly once you are exposed from them.

I work with mercuy on an almost daily basis, and quite honestly it scares the hell out of me. If you don't respect these metals and take full precautions they will bite you in the ***. I truly do hope that your frined is OK. I never knew cadmium was used in steel coatings, I only knew cadmium as a metal that dissolved in mercury, as zinc and cobalt does.

On an unrelated note, I hope that this post sounded cohernet. I am dead drunk :xeye: I really have to stop checking these internet message borads after I come home from 10 pints of beer :angel: Back to listening to The Who, I'll check you all later.

Joined 2001
Corn-Picker said:
On an unrelated note, I hope that this post sounded cohernet. I am dead drunk :xeye: I really have to stop checking these internet message borads after I come home from 10 pints of beer :angel:

Your post is at least as coherent as 95% of the messages on the net. It makes you wonder about the mental condition-chemically caused or not-of most of the people out there in Cyber-Land. :D :D

Joined 2001
Corn Picker:

Yes, cadmium is used in industry extensively, not just structural steel.

Apparently, one of the symptoms of cadmium poisoning is the "locking up" of the person's joints. Within a week or so, a person can go from relatively normal to the inability to walk or move around without pain. It can actually come on that suddenly, from what I have read.

One of the problems with these heavy metals is that there is not much emphasis on them in the medical community, and that many places don't know how to test for them. Even for the commonly known lead, for instance, some places test just by drawing blood, adding a chelator like EDTA to the drawn blood, then testing for lead content.

That would be fine if the lead is still in the blood. What happens is that after exposure, the lead goes into the bones and organs, where it displaces such vital minearals as zinc from the bones. Your blood level will not show much, but the stuff is still working on you.

What needs to be done is to administer the chelator before drawing blood. That binds to the lead in the organs and takes it into the bloodstream, where it can be detected when blood is drawn.

I read an article where workers building the Sydney Harbor Bridge were tested for lead. Remember, this is for recent exposure. First they administered the simple blood test. Then they tested those workers shown to be "free" of lead poisoning and administered the EDTA test. One third of those workers showed up with lead poisoning!!

And this is for workers exposed recently to lead. As for workers who are no longer exposed but still have it in their bones, we can just imagine the percentages.

The Centers For Disease Control does testing with chelators first, and there are some hospitals that specialize in heavy metal treatment that do the right test. But if your family doctor sends you to get tested for lead or other heavy metals, there is a good chance that the test they administer won't be worth that much.

DMSA is another chelator-binder-for lead, mercury and other heavy metals. Some find it easier on the patient than EDTA. Here is a link:
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/dmsa5-3.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.