Difference between Analogue and Digital made visible. Not - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2006, 04:39 PM   #21
MikeB is offline MikeB  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Netlist

Mike,
It would be nice to hear what you found.

/Hugo
Hugo, i did that test, but there was something odd...
The rmaa-measuring shows that the signal did not get degraded. I ran rmaa on its own supplied .wav and from cd (with this file burnt) through spdif.

But subtracting the 2 waves (the original and the captured) did not result in exactly zero. Some strange 2-bit noise was left, repeating every 2.7 seconds, having a gap of silence of ~0.7 secs. This noise was in no relation to the original signal.
I am paranoid enough to suspect that some software/hardware added a watermark...

Mike
Old 1st October 2006, 06:16 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

AAAArgh !

Found the source to the odd noise... I did not use exactly the same wave-file rmaa puts out and the burned one. Rmaa adds white noise to each test pattern to "improve" fft ? This gives different wave file each time it gets generated.
Well, gladly i found the original wavefile that was burnt to cd.
The result: perfect digital zero.

So: Wave file generated -> burnt to CD -> played from player -> recorded via spdif. The result is a perfect digital copy, subtracting the recording with the original wave file gives complete zero, not a single bit lost !

So much about the voodoo, that error correction replaces samples, burning CDs changes the data and so on, bla bla bla. (burnt onto cheapest CDR available, one year ago)

BTW, my spdif coax-cable was a 2meter plain RCA-cable, nothing special/high quality.
The only real thing with the digital-voodoo is jitter, no data is somewhere lost/changed.

Hardware used for the test:
- Burner: LG GSA-4040B
- Player: Pioneer DV-525
- Soundcard: M-Audio Delta 24B96
- Cable: Standard RCA-cable audiophiles would never touch.

All mainstream, except the soundcard maybe.

The result: ALL data gets to the DAC completely unchanged/undegenerated, maybe just not in the exact nanosecond it should.

Mike
Old 1st October 2006, 06:24 PM   #23
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Many thanks for that Mike.
Although many will still argue, I'm glad the data can be carved in stone.
Pretty nice sound card you have there.

/Hugo
Old 1st October 2006, 06:35 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes, the soundcard is a nice one. I especially bought it for measurings and absolutely wanted spdif coax in/out. Measured thd of this soundcard is ~0.001%.

I hope this test can end many of the debates...
The results are plain and measured effects, no data gets lost or changed in the digital chain. I'm not sure whats left to argue about ? Identical data is identical data, even without high performance hardware.

Mike
Old 1st October 2006, 06:35 PM   #25
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

You've proved the strength of error correction but did some still maintain audible differences in digital playback were due to sample error? (BTW, I can't hear a diff between my Toslink or coax connect to a Benchmark DAC.)
Old 1st October 2006, 06:52 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

That's exactly what i wanted to justify, there is no sample error, if there is an audible difference it is not related to data errors, jitter is the only thing that seems to be responsible or this.
I intentionly used mainstream hardware, if this is able to deliver all data without a single error, high end hardware really should have no problem with that.

Jitter has null effect in this test, as only the datas transfered are compared. (Just like downloading from the internet)

Error correction typically takes place when bits are decoded from disc, but obviously no problem occured during my test. (with a cheap cdr)

Mike
Old 1st October 2006, 07:59 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
Very interesting experience. I think if you are comparing on the computer visually, then you compare the data samples, and if the timing is aligned, there is no difference. But when you copy, I am not sure whether the data is in the same sequence or whether the burn quality is the same. If the burn quality is not the same, might there be some resampling until the data gets read without error? This would effect the power requirements and all that inter related effects, wouldn't it?

There will surely be burning or reading errors, often 1000's on a CD. The point is that the error correction correct all this 100% (unless uncorrectable errors cause error concealment but thats really rare these days). The fact that Hugo saw exact copies is a testimony how good the CD system is even with many, many errors occuring.

Jan Didden
Old 1st October 2006, 08:03 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Forgot
You didn't compare an analog signal to a digital one as the title of the thread suggests. You compared two digital signals, one generation apart via the CDR. Your source could just as well have been a commercial CD as an analog disc.

It would be more interesting to compare an analog disc playback to a commercial CD of the same music. Then you can see/hear the difference between the analog and digital playback mechanisms.

I_F
I don't think that exists. You may have the same piece of music on LP and CD, but I would bet that the mastering and mixing and recording would be done different. In fact, it is my believe (which I cannot prove, but Hugo's and MikeB's findings support it) that the difference between LP and CD is SOLELY due to mastering/mixing etc differences and NOT due to any problems with either medium.

Jan Didden
Old 1st October 2006, 08:06 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeB
That's exactly what i wanted to justify, there is no sample error, if there is an audible difference it is not related to data errors, jitter is the only thing that seems to be responsible or this.
I intentionly used mainstream hardware, if this is able to deliver all data without a single error, high end hardware really should have no problem with that.

Jitter has null effect in this test, as only the datas transfered are compared. (Just like downloading from the internet)

Error correction typically takes place when bits are decoded from disc, but obviously no problem occured during my test. (with a cheap cdr)

Mike

Mike,

Didn't you just prove that S/PDIF jitter also has no effect?? S/PDIF in essence being an analog signal.

Jan Didden
Old 1st October 2006, 08:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I forgot.

Hugo, Mike, this is one of the most relevant threads I have ever seen here (no offense to others, including myself). This really furthers our understanding. Thank you for taking the trouble to figure this out.

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!