speakn'spell experimentation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2001, 02:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

hey I just got a WHOLE BUNCH of speak and spells ...........
does anyone know any particularly interesting "bends" I can do .......? I've been looking everywhere and have found a few photos and conceptual diagrams (ghazala) ..but I'm looking for more !! If anyone has any ideas or experience in bending speakn'spells I would LOVE to "rap" about it....
Old 21st November 2001, 02:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default speaknspells

hi casper, would you be interested in letting go of one of those speaknspells? i've been looking everywhere to find one used/cheap and have been unsuccesful. i would like to play with one and see what kind of gabber it could produce. i've been to gharza's <sp?> site and thought it looked pretty cool, one of the first projects you might want to try would be putting a NC 1/8" jack on it, so you can run into a stereo system instead of through the onboard speaker. let me know, thanks
Old 21st November 2001, 03:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wink speakn'spell variable touch pad

hey thanks for the reply.......unfortunately(and i feel like a real jerk saying this) I can't get rid of any of them. they're actually (in a way) not mine....I got someone else to pay for them....then I'm going to modify them and sell them so I need all i can get......but I'll be more than happy to share everything I've learned while experimenting....which I've done quite a bit of since I posted that last message......one neat thing I've done is make a special touch pad ......there are certain pins on the ICs (rectangular black chips with lots of pins) that are static sensitive....if you contect a body contact point to these pins you can create strange results just from touching the contact.....one particular pin controls the pitch when touched ....so I made a plate with various size contacts on it ....the larger the contact, the more your skin is touching and the lower the pitch goes... so I bought a copper plated pc board (from radio shack)....drew a bunch of different sized circles on it with a sharpy marker (all connected by small leads) and then put the plate in a etchant solution (also from radio shack)which melted away all the copper where there was no marker... It took a little trial and error but the results were very effective....I then drilled a whole through one of the circles and bolted the plate to the speakn'spell body....and connected the bolt to the static sensitive pin.......so now I have a little variable keyboard of sorts......you should be able to find speakn'spells on ebay without any trouble.......

Hide this!Advertise here!