Magnets To Attach Ski Rack To Car Top? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2006, 05:09 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Quit beating around the bush...

Look man, people have been trying to suggest nicely that you should not do this, but you seem not to be getting the message, so here it is in plain english:

DON"T BE AN IDIOT. DON"T ATTACH A LADDER TO THE ROOF OF YOUR CAR WITH MAGNETS. YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOMEONE KILLED.

Next you're going to say you want to hold the ladder to the ski rack with scotch tape! Jeez! Before you even ask for opinions, here's mine: dont do THAT either!

I_F
Old 26th September 2006, 05:12 PM   #22
tool49 is offline tool49  Canada
diyAudio Member

If I were to do such operation I'd look into decal material. They offer some transparent 0.9mil thick tape to cover your hood angainst rocks, that would prevent the top of the car from getting scratched.

For the holders, there is a special type of universal non permanent holder system that is sold around here by Thule that fit many car and that will securely tighten the current rack to your roof making it perfectly stable just as it was on the previous car which was probably a Volkswagen.

Hope this helps!
Sébastien
Old 26th September 2006, 07:28 PM   #23
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

C'mon, I_Forgot, don't be so wishy-washy: are you for or against the idea?
Old 26th September 2006, 08:50 PM   #24
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Huge electro magnets- that's the ticket
Old 27th September 2006, 01:54 PM   #25
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll grant you the ladder didn't fly off quickly, but note, that it did in fact come off. Was this an aluminum ladder or a wood ladder? Mass is going to be your big killer here. I don't remember what you said the original intent was, but I would definately not use magnets for much beyond a ladder or some skis. I don't remember if you said you were thinking lumber or plywood at times as well, but I can guarantee that those WILL slide off. There's a lot of momentum in stopping and starting even at slow speeds. Plus, think about this, you're determined to help the magnets slide by putting a buffer between the two, so it won't scratch your finish!!!

If you insist on doing this, try your experiment of stopping and starting with the heaviest objects you intend to carry. Or better yet, attach the magnets on, put it on your roof, now give it a hard yank sideways.

One other thing to think about, what about the poor kid who chases their ball into the street in front of you? You'll stop in time, but the object flying off the roof will get them.

So, to put it as, I_Forgot did,

DON'T!!!!!

Its just not worth the hassel and money, go buy a rack that fits.
Old 28th September 2006, 12:17 AM   #26
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Schaef
[B]I'll grant you the ladder didn't fly off quickly, but note, that it did in fact come off. Was this an aluminum ladder or a wood ladder?
Aluminum. A medium duty 8 foot stepladder. It came off, but it took a mile and a half at 40 mph to slide off, and it was entirely unsecured. Not even a piece of scotch tape was holding on the rack. So that indicates that there isn't as much force in the horizontal direction as you might think.

Quote:
If you insist on doing this, try your experiment of stopping and starting with the heaviest objects you intend to carry. Or better yet, attach the magnets on, put it on your roof, now give it a hard yank sideways.
Yes, I plan to do all of these things.

One more thing I think I should mention. When I had the car which had a place for the rack to hook onto, on the very rare occasion when I transported a 20 ft extension ladder on the rack I also tied one end of the ladder to the front bumper and the other end to the rear bumper, with the rack in the middle. The racks are only about 3.5 ft apart, so they simply could not secure a 20 ft ladder. I will continue this practice with the magnetic attachment. So we are basically talking a medium duty 8 ft aluminum ladder here, and the occasional plywood which will be transported on city streets at 30 mph.

Quote:
One other thing to think about, what about the poor kid who chases their ball into the street in front of you? You'll stop in time, but the object flying off the roof will get them.
That is the pupose of the hard stop and start test-to see if that can happen. If it does, then I find alternative measures to attach the rack to the roof, whether is ruins the finish of car or not. If it doesn't, then I use the magnet method.

Quote:
Its just not worth the hassel and money, go buy a rack that fits.
That's just the problem, there is no rack that fits without ruining the finish because this car does not have the place for the hooks to hook onto.
Old 28th September 2006, 12:37 AM   #27
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Huge electro magnets- that's the ticket
I don't know if your tongue was planted in your cheek when you wrote that, but that would actually be a very good idea.

One way to do would be the following way.

Take out the interior roof liner and glue large, 1 inch thick electromagnets. Run wire down to the fuse box. Hook up so current is cut off when car is turned off.

On the base of the racks, glue large round donut type piece with the small hole filled up by a real permanent magnet. Make sure the rack pads line up with the electromagnets glued on the inside of the rooftop.

The beauty of this system is the electromagnets will exert enormous pull when the car is running. But to take the racks off the car, simply turn off the car and the racks will be held onto the roof only by the small permanent magnet in the middle of the iron piece at the bottom of the rack pad. After ally, you don't need much force on the rack when the car is parked. Best of both worlds.

There are only a couple of disadvantages here:

A) Cost. I think the electromagnets will be expensive. And I would problably need a bigger alternator to run the current to them.

B) If for any reason the electrical power fails while on the highway, off goes the rack unless you brake VERY slowly and go gradually onto the shoulder. which should make things interesting, if nothing else.
Old 28th September 2006, 02:05 AM   #28
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Well, maybe I was joking a bit ,but there is no requirement to power them through your ignition. Power them from the battery with a separate switch. Until the battery wears down you are OK

Iguess you need to search the surplus stores online.

Those rack makers are fiendishly clever developing hardware to attach to any car - even going into the crack in the top of the door opening. You might want to more research...
Old 28th September 2006, 05:55 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

kelticwizard,

Lemme get this straight: you are gonna use magnets to hold a rack to the roof of your car, risking the lives of an untold numbers of people in order to not damage the finish on the roof of the car?

I hope the first cop who sees you tickets you and impounds your car. You are truly a menace to society. Get help before someone gets hurt or killed.

I_F
Old 28th September 2006, 11:58 AM   #30
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Forgot
Have you seriously considered the safety aspects of what you are intending to do?

Quote:
Don't forget to put one arm out the window to help hold the stuff down...

Quote:
DON"T BE AN IDIOT. DON"T ATTACH A LADDER TO THE ROOF OF YOUR CAR WITH MAGNETS. YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOMEONE KILLED.

Quote:
You are truly a menace to society.

I have to hand to hand it to you, I_Forgot.

You are enough to make even an Irish-American cry out:

OY, such a noodge!!

Hide this!Advertise here!