Equipment racks to floor & TT to wall - best de?coupling/ interfaces

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Apologies for the length – thought I’d give you the full multi-faceted situation

A retired professional acoustician once said to me, that more important for best sound, than the floor material or the equipment racks used, is having good feet between the racks and the floor.

If he had more time, and I knew at the time what I would end up with, I would have asked him:
1. what are the desirable attributes? decoupling? or I would think it depends on the combination of rack and floor (eg sprung timber v concrete slab)
2. what reasonable cost interfaces/ feet materials provide those desirable attributes?

After many years planning saving & conception, a room with some space is available. The floor is vinyl over concrete slab.

Three types of racks are needed, for: amps, general sources and the turntable.

Being increasingly stiff of limb, the general sources (CD, tuner & tape) on timber shelves will ideally be around eye level – minimum 1.2 –1.5 m (4-5 feet) off the floor. To achieve this in an old timber cabinet I have (WAF), could be either on long solid timber legs or wall mounted.

For amps, I am right now assembling two pairs of low cost equipment racks – utilitarian steel frames, 12 mm (1/ 2 inch) MDF shelves, with thin plastic feet; to allow easy amp swapping (tube/ small class A/ refined class AB).

Did I say I am obsessed? ;)
I assure you I will swap music much more than swap the gear!

Of all components, the turntable is the most sensitive, particularly as I was once tempted by a cheap Linn . . With a vinyl collection full of chestnuts and a reasonable Linn (Ittok, IIRC Lingo PS, Sumiko Blue Point Special) & a Hagerman phono stage ~ it’s time to dust off the analog.

Wanting to rotate platters *easily, I will *only do this ergonomically, ie with the Linn on a (dedicated) shelf 1.2 m 4 feet off the floor.
At that height, the shelf will most likely be mounted off the timber stud wall.
How should the Linn shelf best be coupled/ decoupled?

My non-professional opinion is that regardless of mounting to a concrete floor or a timber wall – as far as practicable, decouple.

Any acoustics experts –
Is that best practise?
Either way, how to get a good interface from everyday materials?

Thanks

Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.