incredible power strip on the cheap! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2002, 11:39 PM   #1
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
Exclamation incredible power strip on the cheap!

hot tweak tip i just discovered...

i've found a power strip that sounds absolutely incredible in my system - and i got it for $29 on eBay! it's a 16 outlet power distribution strip originally made by SL Waber for telecom/datacenter use primarily, original retail over $200. it's in a shallow 19" rack mount chassis with two separate banks of 8 industrial-grade outlets. each bank has its own power light, 20 amp circuit breaker, and heavy duty 12 gauge power cord - long too, at least 10 feet or so. perfect for separating video/digital and analog components. they're terminated with 20 amp twist-lock plugs, which are great if you have such outlets, but if not you can easily change it out for a standard plug. there's no filtering, switching, or superfluous parts of any sort, just the two 20 amp circuit breakers and a power light. i've included a picture below.

when i got it on ebay, it was $20 + $9 shipping, currently it's running for $30 from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2081755642

unfortunately the chassis cannot be opened (secured with rivets), but after listening to this thing i don't think it needs much modification. so how does it sound? i just got around to wiring in a regular Pass-Seymour plug and swapping it into my system, replacing the cheap Home Depot strip i've been using for a while. WOW!!! i had no idea my system could be this dynamic! the sound is bigger, fuller, more open, less grainy and restrained. the difference is akin to an amplifier upgrade, i kid you not... it sounds amazing, as good, maybe better than a very good $800 "audiophile" strip i reviewed a few months ago.

any drawbacks? it might be slightly forward-sounding, but methinks it is more accurate. i don't think you'll find anything better for this little money.
Old 15th December 2002, 11:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

oops, forgot the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-1.jpg (19.5 KB, 467 views)
Old 15th December 2002, 11:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Home Depot carries those orange receptacles (Lutron?). They are around $10 in Canada and I use them a lot.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th December 2002, 11:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah, should not be hard to make one of these yourself, though for $29 i think i saved money on just the parts, not to mention the trouble of getting a chassis, assembling it, etc. it's UL approved too, something our gear is never. got some nice spare twist-lock plugs on the side too, though i doubt i will ever use them as long as i live in NYC...
Old 16th December 2002, 12:22 AM   #5
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Looks great. I was thinking of building my own power strip soon. We will see how high the price goes.

--
Brian
Old 16th December 2002, 12:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

last time i got it, there were no bids at all except my own, so if a bidding war starts you can bet it's just you DIY folk.
Old 16th December 2002, 12:23 AM   #7
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Well... I put my bid in...

--
Brian
Old 16th December 2002, 12:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Default POWERTRIP ERR.... STRIP

Hi guys,

Anyone knows how this actually works?
I'd like to know what's inside.

Just out of curiosity,have any of you thought about just hooking up a TV set to one of these and check if the picture quality actually improves?

I usually find that method a reliable indicator of quality.

Cheers,
Old 16th December 2002, 12:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

frank! you're back.
it's completely passive, nothing inside other than circuit breaker and power light. that's why it sounds so good.

my TV is plugged into it, indirectly... i have my own power filter after this strip for the video/digital stuff, it's just some filter caps and series inductors from the TrippLite Isobar strip i hacked up. have not really look at the TV picture quality carefully but i think the blacks might be a little better now...
Old 16th December 2002, 01:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Anthropomorphism

Looks like this I think:

Hide this!Advertise here!