Shock vs. Electrocution - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2006, 01:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shock vs. Electrocution

Electrocute:
1) to execute by electricity.
2) to be killed by electric shock.
See also, Electrocuted, Electrocuting & Electrocution

Folks, you can obtain many electrical shocks in a life time, but you are only allowed one electrocution. Just thought I’d point that out.

When I was a child my friend’s dad lost one of his arms working on high voltage power lines. Every time a kid asked him about being electrocuted, he first corrected them by explaining how he suffered from a severe electrical shock.

I hooked up a transformer in reverse once while I was experimenting, I lit up on 1200 volts or so. It was a very bad experience and I felt it through both arms and in my chest. When I work on tubes I use only one hand with my test probe and I keep my shoes on. I think it is a good practice regardless how low the voltage is.

I was on an electrical crew working in a factory when one of the guys dropped his linesman pliers across a 600 amp buss. The pliers exploded leaving almost nothing behind and the guy was blown near 20 feet back and was blind for a few moments. He was slightly physically hurt but walked to the ambulance with the medics. It was weeks before we could get back in that place to finish the work.

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 24th September 2006, 02:21 AM   #2
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

I have seen a monkey wrench melt like a fuse from a car battery. A friend of mine learned the lesson to always hook up ground second when changing batteries.
Old 24th September 2006, 02:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The right sequence of connecting GND and Plus is depending on if you put the battery in or out:

We have to avoid a short circuit if the plus gets connected to the car chassis with the wrench by accident. So simply don't srew around at plus, when GND is connected. Means:

Putting the battery out:
Disconnect GND first.
Disconnect Plus second.

Putting the battery in:
Connect Plus first.
Connect GND second.
Old 24th September 2006, 02:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Shawn has touched on a good subject. There are never too many reminders on electrical safety.

Today I made a mistake by not checking the voltage left in a power supply I was building and I took several hundred volts.

If I had been more careful I would have installed a bleader resistor in the supply. I was in a hurry to try the supply so I didn't.

Today I was lucky. In the future I might not be.

Something to think about ........

Thanks for the reminder Shawn.
Old 24th September 2006, 02:58 AM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi burnedfingers,
Excellent point to add to Shawn's.

Keep in mind that there are amplifiers that do not discharge some rather high DC voltages. Even after a day. Always measure first!!

I've been zapped a few times through carelessness and stupidity. Some people only get zapped once and it's game over.

-Chris
Old 24th September 2006, 07:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers

Today I made a mistake by not checking the voltage left in a power supply I was building and I took several hundred volts.

Burnedfingers,

So you are basically telling us that you picked an internet moniker and then waited for something to happen? Aren`t you sorry now you didn`t call yourself `multi-millionaire lottery winner` instead?
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 24th September 2006, 01:19 PM   #7
quasi is offline quasi  Australia
diyAudio Member

When I was about 13 or so my dad and I were working on an old house he bought to rent. In the shed there was a cable hanging very low from the roof with two bare ends exposed (no doubt ready for a lamp fitting). Little Quasi thought, " I wonder if they're live" and grasped an end in each hand.

They were. My whole body shook uncontrollably and somehow I was able to let go.

I ran to the rear of the yard to collect myself and re-regulate my breathing without being seen by my Dad, who would have killed me if he found out electricity nearly did.

I recall it took about a week for me to get over it.

Imagine a world without Quasi.....friends sometimes note that Quasi now has one hand in his pocket while the other is poking around.

For the record it's 240v @ 50Hz down here.

Cheers
Old 24th September 2006, 01:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have done this as well. I try to always have an LED on my PS boards powered after the bridge (from caps to resistor to led). If there is charge in the caps, LED is on. Even with bleeders (like to use those as well) it can take some time to drain.
Old 24th September 2006, 01:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I remember as a kid, trying to plug in a lamp in my dark bedroom. I was holding the two prongs of the plug between my fingers, so that my finger tips could feel where the holes were. Zap. Luckily most of the charge went finger to finger on the same hand, but I still felt it all over.

I went into the next room where my older brother was watching television, and told him I just zapped myself. He asked, "Did you see anything?" I asked what he meant. He then told me that when you get zapped like that, your eyes light up.

Yes, I soon zapped myself again to see if I could see in the dark. I like to blame the stupidity on the first shock and a lingering detatchment

Sorry for the lighter (ha) story.

Both of my brothers are electricians, and can tell lots of good stories that make you think twice.
Old 24th September 2006, 01:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I'm just a Cat with only 1 life left.
(used to be a big spender, let's hope i haven't made a calculation error)

Hide this!Advertise here!