S-video to RCA cable? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2006, 03:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default S-video to RCA cable?

Anyone know how to make an s-video to RCA cable? I know you can buy em for like $10, but I've got tonz of cables & a soldering iron, and I've never used an svideo cable for anything. I just want to plug my laptop into my receiver feeding to my projector. I found a few other tuts, but they both mention 4 wires, whereas the svideo cable I just cut open only has 2, a black and a red, both have braided shielding.
Old 24th September 2006, 07:30 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I do not know for sure, but I think an S-video cable has just video on it.
If this is the case then you need an extra cable to connect the audio.
Old 24th September 2006, 09:39 AM   #3
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html
Old 24th September 2006, 11:15 AM   #4
MikeB is offline MikeB  Germany
diyAudio Member

coolpoppa, are you sure your receiver and/or beamer do not have S-Video connections ?
You don't want a messed up composite signal beamed to big sizes...
S-Video is way above in quality compared to composite.
The adapter shown by moamps will work, but produce heavy color artefacts.

BTW, two shielded wires are in fact 4, the shields are the ground wires.

Mike
Old 25th September 2006, 10:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, I don't have svideo inputs on my current receiver. I figured I could just make a quick S-video to Rca and have it work. So do I take the two wires and twist them toether and use thos for the video sig on the RCA and the grounds to the ground of the RCA?

I guess I would really like to go from VGA to Component if possible. I have a cable that should do this, but for some reason, it doesn't. This is the cable I have:
http://mobyent.com/index.asp?PageAct...OD&ProdID=6864
The only thing I can think is that maybe my drivers aren't working on my laptop. this should put out a signal on either component or composite, correct?
Old 26th September 2006, 06:58 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Quote:
this should put out a signal on either component or composite
are you sure?
Composite has one RCA plug/socket.
Component will have three RCA plugs/sockets (plus audio).
Old 26th September 2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coolpoppa
Thanks everyone for the replies, I don't have svideo inputs on my current receiver. I figured I could just make a quick S-video to Rca and have it work. So do I take the two wires and twist them toether and use thos for the video sig on the RCA and the grounds to the ground of the RCA?

I guess I would really like to go from VGA to Component if possible. I have a cable that should do this, but for some reason, it doesn't. This is the cable I have:
http://mobyent.com/index.asp?PageAct...OD&ProdID=6864
The only thing I can think is that maybe my drivers aren't working on my laptop. this should put out a signal on either component or composite, correct?

I'm not sure on wirirng, but the adapter you bought, well, its good for a computer monitor. That ad is one of the most mis-leading things I have ever seen. What it appears to do is simply take the red, green, blue, horizontal sync and vertical sync pins and break them out into RCA connectors. In other words, pointless for most HDTV presentations. The only way I can see that connector will work is if you put your video card into one of the HDTV modes using the exact horizontal and vertical sync timings and then hook up the RGB RCAs to the TV, ignore the H/V sync connectors.

In other words, its doable, they technically didn't lie, but its not very easy, or intuitive.

Hide this!Advertise here!