Home automation. Need microphone, speaker and cable suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2006, 03:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Bigcheese
Default Home automation. Need microphone, speaker and cable suggestions

First thing is, I know almost nothing about audio equipment, so any info at all would help. Also I知 a programmer and I知 writing all the software for this.

I'm setting up a home automation system in our new house and need to know what mics, speakers, and cables would be the best.

The basic setup will be a microphone and speaker in almost every room of the house all going to one central computer that does speech recognition and outputs sound to the speakers.

Here is what I think would work from my current research.

Mixer: M-Audio delta 1010lt < http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...10LT-main.html >

One of the main things I don稚 understand is if I need an external hardware mixer before the mics come in, or if in my software I can up the amplitude and clean it up.

Microphones: Crown PZM mics < http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pzm.htm >

I need mics that can pick up most of the sound in a room w/o much extra noise.

Speakers: no idea

Again, I知 not going to be playing music over the speakers, just voice (Text to speech and intercom style)

Cables: again, no idea

I was thinking of getting shielded cables for the mics and just standard speaker cable for the speakers. Also i need to know how far i can run them.

Hide this!Advertise here!