Portable Music Devices that Support Lossless - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2006, 11:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Portable Music Devices that Support Lossless

Does anyone know of any portable audio players that support lossless formats. I am tired of all the 128kbps crap you find on P2P, and have taken the leap of faith towards ripping my own lossless music. Unfortunately for Apple, their iPods do not support lossless formats. My mini was one of the worst investments I've ever made, but I wont get into it.
Old 14th September 2006, 06:44 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

All iPods except the shuffle support lossless...

dave
Old 14th September 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
MaxS is offline MaxS  France
diyAudio Member

If you have enough money to buy one, i'm hotly recommend iAudio who are really good stuff yo my mind with a better DAC than iPod nano or something like.
Old 15th September 2006, 06:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Check the list on this page:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html

I_F
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:13 PM   #5
JRace is offline JRace  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a 30gig ipod video. I am running the open-source rockbox firmware.
This firmware loads over the apple one (doesn't remove the apple firware or void any warranties).

It suports most lossless codecs including FLAC.

Only downside, decreased bat life.
http://www.rockbox.org/

And it can be used on the mini (1st and 2nd gen).

Instead of using itunes your ipod becomes a mas usb device and you just drag/drop the files on it. Therefore you can dump or copy the entire contents onto another computer.

Quote:
Rockbox for the iPod 4G, Color, Nano and Video models all have a very wide range of codec support - MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AC3 and WavPack are all supported in Rockbox. Additional music playback features include gapless playback and customizable crossfading, as well as a five-band fully-parametric equalizer to fine-tune sound output. iPods also get ReplayGain support for volume level normalization, and a large number of plugins, including games, applications, and "demos" - have some fun when you've got some free time to kill, open files with the text viewer, make use of the stopwatch, view some JPEG photos, or turn your iPod into a desktop clock. Also enjoy On-The-Go playlist creation and adjustment, full file bookmarking support and much more.
Old 23rd September 2006, 06:49 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JRace
Instead of using itunes your ipod becomes a mas usb device and you just drag/drop the files on it. Therefore you can dump or copy the entire contents onto another computer.
The iPod should behave like that without any additional software -- i have many clients who buy iPods as portable USB hard drives.

dave
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Not trying to high jack this thread, but does anyone know of a portable player that has a digital out; preferably optical?
Old 24th September 2006, 03:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
Not trying to high jack this thread, but does anyone know of a portable player that has a digital out; preferably optical?
Look Canadian made, every good model (even some cheapies) I've seen has this. US DRM laws prevent this feature, according to the EFF newsletters anyway.
Old 24th September 2006, 12:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Geek, I found a 20gb iRiver H120 on ebay.ca that has both optical in and out.
Old 25th September 2006, 11:20 PM   #10
JRace is offline JRace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

The iPod should behave like that without any additional software -- i have many clients who buy iPods as portable USB hard drives.

dave
It does...the benifit to rockbox however is that if you transfered an .mp3 or.flac file to your 'mass usb device' you could actually hear the music.

Hide this!Advertise here!