PC sucks - so slow compared to Macintosh - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2002, 03:09 PM   #1
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default PC sucks - so slow compared to Macintosh

Hi!

Subject only eyecatcher...

Can anybody explain why 585 MB (x40 CD P4, 1,8 GHz) takes 9 minutes, 15 sec. to copy from CD to harddisk? It takes 80 minuter with a Compaq Celeron 800(?) MHz.

Both XP

With a tired old Beige 266 MHz G3 Macintosh it takes only 5 minutes. 5400 rpm disk and x8 CD!

Why is PC so slow? Is something not trimmed?
Old 13th December 2002, 03:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What is the PC doing when the CD is not spinning and there is no writing on the harddisk?? Very noticable on the Celeron PC.

If the PC had desktop files (which Mac has) which is updated all the time I could understand the whole thing PC hasn't any, or?
Old 13th December 2002, 03:21 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Most likely the CDROM is at fault. Most CDROMs are of extremely low quality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac CDROM was better than the average PC one. Have you tried a better brand? (Plextor, VeloCD?)
Old 13th December 2002, 03:28 PM   #4
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PC sucks - so slow compared to Macintosh

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
Hi!

Subject only eyecatcher...

Can anybody explain why 585 MB (x40 CD P4, 1,8 GHz) takes 9 minutes, 15 sec. to copy from CD to harddisk? It takes 80 minuter with a Compaq Celeron 800(?) MHz.

Both XP

With a tired old Beige 266 MHz G3 Macintosh it takes only 5 minutes. 5400 rpm disk and x8 CD!

Why is PC so slow? Is something not trimmed?
That performance depends on a lot of things. My guess would be bad drivers/incorrect installation with respect to IDE channels/bad CD drive. I hope you are not serious that it takes 80 minutes on the Celeron. There is something seriously wrong if it does. The difference should not be that big for the two PC systems.

Obviously also very common is that the CD is scratched and there is a huge difference in how diffferent drives behave when that is the case. Swap the drives in the Windows PCs (should be easy swap)...

/Urban

/UrSv
Old 13th December 2002, 03:35 PM   #5
fezz is offline fezz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ok i dont know how technical you want me to go into this but here goes:

looking at the specks (i know them off hand) the MAC uses a 66MHz FSB, with IDE 33MB/S hard disk transfers - this limits the whole transfer of data from the hard disk or CD drive to CD writer to 33MB/s at this is only a theritecal speed, and there will be two devices on the same IDE cable - this is 1/2 of that - 16.75MB/s top

in comparison the celeron system can (depending on motherboard) have a 100MHz FSB, and can transfer data from the hard disk to other thing (such as CD writer) at speeds of up to 100MB/s

again in real life this will be halved to 50MB/s

modern P4's can transfer data around their motherbaord at speeds of up to 533MHz and data at speeds of up to 133MB/s

macs ARE NOT faster - the speed difference you see is down to the mac operating system only being able to do one thing at once - so all the speed of the back is put into buring the CD - the pc's can do other things at once so do both tasks slower then they would normally
Old 13th December 2002, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: PC sucks - so slow compared to Macintosh

Quote:
Originally posted by UrSv

That performance depends on a lot of things. My guess would be bad drivers/incorrect installation with respect to IDE channels/bad CD drive. I hope you are not serious that it takes 80 minutes on the Celeron. There is something seriously wrong if it does. The difference should not be that big for the two PC systems.

Obviously also very common is that the CD is scratched and there is a huge difference in how diffferent drives behave when that is the case. Swap the drives in the Windows PCs (should be easy swap)...
The CD is in perfect condition. The same CD was used in all machines. The Celeron is painfully slow when it comes to larger files. I'm not kidding, the Celeron is soooo slow.

I think also something isn't at optimum. The P4 is a Dell but since the XP was 2001 and not updated when I bought the PC recently I suspect drivers also maybe outdated. When you compress files the P4 is 8 times faster than the old Mac (266 MHz compared to 1,8 GHz) so there you experience a normal difference in the right direction.
Old 13th December 2002, 03:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The CD is HL-DT-CD-ROM GCR-8481B Brand?? My DVD burner is Philips, equally slow!
Old 13th December 2002, 03:42 PM   #8
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
What is the PC doing when the CD is not spinning and there is no writing on the harddisk?? Very noticable on the Celeron PC.

If the PC had desktop files (which Mac has) which is updated all the time I could understand the whole thing PC hasn't any, or?
It depends. If it is the standard PC the it will be doing things like running MS (Office) indexing services, MS Windows Update checks , all software that has automatic update checks will be checking Internet connections, the desktop and other refresh will be done (yes, it does do that) and most importantly I think it will think about what the **ll all those entries in the registry REALLY are for (joke?).

/UrSv
Old 13th December 2002, 03:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fezz
macs ARE NOT faster - the speed difference you see is down to the mac operating system only being able to do one thing at once - so all the speed of the back is put into buring the CD - the pc's can do other things at once so do both tasks slower then they would normally
No Mac aren't very faster than PC. Tests show that certain things are faster and some other are slower... The hardware is the same in many cases.

This multitasking stuff. My P4 isn't very usefull when it's copying! Sloooow in other things. Mac is notiable slower but the copying speed is reduced when copying in the background. I don't know though how a G4 and Mac Unix is in this copying business. I suspect that UNIX is better than XP in many things.
Old 13th December 2002, 04:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Could be millions of things. For instance,
1) do you have the CD and harddisk on the same IDE channel
on the slow machine? (should not be the case)
2) Is DMA enabled for both devices? (should be faster when
enabled, although the opposite may also happen if there are
incompatibility problems).
3) Are latest drivers installed for all devices?
4) the other n millions minus three possibilities.

Hide this!Advertise here!