Your First System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2002, 04:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Your First System

Maybe this has been posted already, but I was just a little curious...
What was everybody's first stereo (or "hi-fi", there may be some here who pre-date stereo) system? How old were you? How did it get you interested in audio?

I am 27, so mine isn't exactly "classic". When I was about 8, my parents bought me a Marantz receiver, tape deck, turntable, and some speakers for Christmas. I had already wore out 2 or 3 of those cheap record players, and was continually messing with my parents system- recording cassette copies of lps to play back on my portable panasonic cassette player (used to carry it everywhere) that I got after my sister "rinsed off" my portable AM radio while swimming at the lake.
Here's the details:
The receiver: Marantz SR221- your basic 40wpc stereo receiver. It is still working- my dad is running his TV through it. It has never even been recaped!
Cassette- basic Marantz single well- analog counter, mechanical mechanism, dolby B. Dual record level dials.
Turntable- Marantz direct drive with AT (i think??) cartridge.
Speakers- two way- 10" woofer- 3" cone tweeter. Trying to remember the name- RTR I think. Closed box. Great bass (even if a little exaggerated)
It wasn't a bad sounding system at the time (wasn't great, but for an 8 year old?). By the time I was starting high school, I had managed to collect about 150 LP's, bought with newspaper delivery route and birthday money. My parents have always been really supportive of my passion for music. I hope to be able to pass it on to my kids some day (if they're interested, of course).
Sorry if this is cheesy- just thinking about Christmas' past, you know?
-NS
Old 12th December 2002, 05:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default First system

Well, I went over the edge pretty darn quick. Back around 1972 I bought a Sony 6045 receiver and hooked it up to a pair of old HH Scott speakers, additional inputs were a Sony 7" reel to reel and pioneer turntable.

Two years later is was all replaced by a used system, state of the art for the time. MacIntosh pre-amp/tuner, Mac poweramp,
KLH-9 electrostats, Transcriptors hydraulic reference TT and a new Revox 77 reel to reel. Kept that system for many years.

Cyclotronguy
Old 12th December 2002, 08:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

mine was a Pioneer SX838 (which has a great tuner, I still own it), AR3a's, DUAL turntable -- the latter two pieces are gone in the mysts of time.
Old 12th December 2002, 09:30 PM   #4
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
err... hehe

It was something my grandmother was having. I still hae som component of it.

The most important part of it is that it was my first experience with a turntable. Fall in love the indtant I've made a sound come out of it. Wasn't a good one so I can imagine what a good TT sound like.
Old 12th December 2002, 09:50 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My first "store bought" system was all Dyna and AR: PAS 3 and ST-70 (kits), A-25, and AR-XA. IIRC, I was using a Stanton cartridge. I upgraded the speakers to Rectilinear IIIs, then added another pair when quad came along.

Am I showing my age?
Old 12th December 2002, 10:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default First that I can remember!

This was a Garrard SP25 Mark VI, through a Rogers Cadet III integrated valve amp, with some baby Wharfedales (pre-Diamonds). This was about age 15. It took just eight years to get to a Linn LP12 and Naim amps, via a great many changes. The word upgrade did not apply to some of those changes.

A word about manufacturers model improvements, the Mark VI Garrard was quickly replaced by a friend's Mark II which sounded, IMHO, far better. It must have been quite a few years older too! Everybody's ears are different!!

Regards

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn-star-trek-tmp-05.jpg (8.7 KB, 362 views)
Old 12th December 2002, 10:37 PM   #7
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
my first "very own" system i assembled in 1995 while in music school... a pair of Tannoy 605 2-way monitors, Rega Brio integrated amp, Radio Shack Optimus CD-3400 discman (cult favorite at the time), and homemade cables. everything wound up being modified within a couple months, so the DIY bug bit me early. apart from the Radio Shack i still have everything, i use the Rega as my rear channel amp. still good-sounding stuff. hmm, wonder what i did with the Optimus, i can't recall...
Old 12th December 2002, 10:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Celestion Ditton 100 mk II speakers, Dual 505 TT, and a NAD 3040 amp.

Of which I still have the speakers left, I gave the NAD away, and the Dual got trashed in a house move.

Ahh... Those were the days... I could carry all my system round in one go when moving, now I can't even carry one side of the bass and mid/ high cabinets at once
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th December 2002, 11:12 PM   #9
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
yeah, my system used to be very portable, the cd player, amp, and all cables fit in my backpack and the speakers are not so big. a simpler time... i might even argue i enjoyed the music even more back then than i do now. audiophile neurosis is a terrible disease.
Old 12th December 2002, 11:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

My first system was a Hitachi receiver stereo system I bought in high school back in the late '60's (the time had just past when they would advertise how many transistors were in a piece of equipment). I also bought a Garrard turntable with a Shure phono cartridge. The cartridge wouldn’t work until I bought a Sherwood tube phono pre-amp. The music was like magic.

Rodd Yamashita

Hide this!Advertise here!