Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 06:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
Question What should I use for a crossover?

I've posted something related to this in the electronics and parts forum earlier.

Anyway, I'm building a set of cabinets and I need a crossover that can handle a current of 1550 watts rms at 8 ohms.

Here's all the info that I have on the speakers:

12 inch Woofer:
*Power handling: 300 watts RMS/600 watts max *VCdia: 3" *Le: 1.33 mH *Nominal impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.0 ohms *Frequency response: 50-4,000 Hz *Magnet weight: 71 oz. *Fs: 42 Hz *SPL: 96 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 3.81 cu. ft. *Qms: 16.33 *Qes: .32 *Qts: .31 *Xmax: 3.5 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 12-1/8", Cutout Diameter: 11", Mounting Depth: 5-1/8".

6 inch Mid bass:
*Power handling: 100 watts RMS/200 watts max *VCdia: 1.25" *Le: 0.57 mH *Nominal impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.9 ohms *Frequency response: 80-9,000 Hz *Magnet weight: 19.8 oz. *Fs: 76 Hz *SPL: 91 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.28 cu. ft. *Qms: 6.7 *Qes: 0.95 *Qts: 0.83 *Xmax: 2.3 mm *Dimensions: A: 6.54", B: 5.63", C: 2.9".

Tweeter:
3 " ALUMINUM BULLET HORN WITH 1" SUPER TWEETER 40 OZ MAGNET STRUCTURE 250/500 WATT PEAK POWER FERRO FLUID ENHANCED FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 2k-25 KHZ SENSITIVITY: 99db IMPEDANCE: 4-8

And yes if you do the math that means there's two woofers, two mib bass drivers, and three tweeters.

Please don't criticize my design, I've already built a smaller version of the same set up with 8 inch woofers, 4 inch mid ranges and 1 inch dome tweeters. It sounds great but now that I've got a bigger living room I need more power so that's why I'm building a bigger version of my current speakers.

The crossover I used for my smaller speakers was a Dayton crossover from parts express that handeled 300 watts.
I can't find anything that will handle 1500 watt rms.
So I was wondering if I could install a Dj crossover on the speaker cabinets and if I could, how should I wire it up?
And if that's a ridiculous idea then what would I need to build my own crossover and where can I get the parts?
Old 10th September 2006, 07:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you bought the power amp yet? Silly as it might seem, it might be easier to use an electronic crossover and multiple power amps at this sort of power, and not nescessarily that much more expensive. This enables you to match speaker sensitivities without losing damping factor, (I don't know those bullet tweeters, but I'll make a small bet they'll sound better off a very low impedance) While high power passive crossovers are available for PA systems, they tend to be designed for particular sets of speakers, generally from one manufacturer.
Do you need the multiple tweeters for coverage? They are a bit directive, and I can't think of any style of music that would need that much power in the ultra highs to match that little power at the low end (in one PA system we've got 100 watts of JBL bullet matching 2000 watts of bass and mid, with 15" low end drivers (I don't actually have the sensitivities at my fingertips) which should be at least as efficient as 12", and horn loaded mids.

9 and eve

Hide this!Advertise here!