diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   I am an IEC Socket Freak (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/85918-i-am-iec-socket-freak.html)

bulgin 4th September 2006 07:07 PM

I am an IEC Socket Freak

Hello All!

I've drilled, powerfiled and cut my mits too often already in fitting these sockets to amps, pre's and powersupplies.

Does anyone know if one of those screw together gadgets exists to make a panel cutout for these sockets?

Thank you & kind regards to all.

bulgin

richie00boy 4th September 2006 07:29 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the RS catalogue. Not cheap but if you do a lot of them I can see the point.

Geek 4th September 2006 09:16 PM

Greenlee?

tvi 4th September 2006 09:18 PM

I think Deltron make them also

regards
James

SY 4th September 2006 10:03 PM

You guys work too hard. I buy molded IEC sockets with a square cutout.

poobah 4th September 2006 10:18 PM

Yeah yeah... SY has square drill bits and pomodoro.

Google "nibbler"... good one ~$40-50

Geek 4th September 2006 10:18 PM

Yeah, but you can get the funny shaped one for soooooooo much less ;)

EC8010 4th September 2006 10:23 PM

I cut mine with a tension file in a hacksaw frame. No problem.

poobah 4th September 2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

tension file in a hacksaw frame
That is manly as hell... Like those Japanese guys with backsaws.

Geek,

Neither of us provided links... that's baiting I believe.

:(

bulgin 5th September 2006 01:40 AM

I am an IEC Socket Freak

Heheheee!

I like them square drillbits!!! I have a hand nibbler which takes too wee bites. I also have a diamond-coated tension file but parts are in the way if retrofitting these sockets. I'll check out the very expensive RS.

Thanks all!

BTW. This is not really in the spirit of diy but I have a newish 5-amp powersupply which started smelling of burning plastic the other night.

I had a look inside and could only spot a burned resistor. I next measured the output and saw things were way out of spec.

Since it was almost unused and still under guarantee, I took it back to the supplier. Before doing this, I replaced the cover with only two out of the eight selftappers and kept the rest here to prevent them from getting lost at the dealer.

On collecting the repaired item today, I saw the technician did not replace my original screws and he claimed they got lost.

I told him to find me 6 other screws of similar type and after some humming and cussing, got replacements which I noted were longer than the originals.

Well, when I got home, I decided to have a look (before switching the thing on) and saw one of the two screws the 'technician' replaced, was firmly screwed into the mains cable inside....

We live in interesting times. Maybe I should sue for theft of 2 selftappers and attempted murder...

bulgin