I am an IEC Socket Freak - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 02:31 AM   #11
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

BAD boy...
Old 5th September 2006, 06:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Poobah,

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
Geek,

Neither of us provided links... that's baiting I believe.

Too right!

Cheap IEC's
http://www.cascadesurplus.com/catalo...products_id/53
Old 5th September 2006, 08:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Not only do I have the correct Qmax cutter for IEC sockets (proving that it has at one time existed, even if it's now unfindable) but one for Bulgin mains sockets. Prices for these punches have soared, haven't they?
Old 5th September 2006, 08:36 PM   #14
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by chrispenycate
Prices for these punches have soared, haven't they?
I suspect that's because hardly anybody uses them anymore now that you can buy a DVD player for 25 or a personal CD player for less than a full price CD at your local supermarket. Buy 'em whilst they're still available...
Old 5th September 2006, 09:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Most of the IEC sockets I have come across require a minimum cutout of 19mm x 27mm. Square sheet metal punches are easy to find, so if you found a 19mm or 3/4" punch you could just punch a square with it then use a file or nibbler to remove another 8mm of material.

I've looked and looked for an IEC punch in the past and had no luck finding one.

I do it the dangerous messy way of using a cut-off disk and a dremel tool. When a cut-off disk explodes at 30,000rpm you better hope your face isn't in the way of the shrapnel.
Old 5th September 2006, 09:38 PM   #16
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

1, that's how I do it. A few drilled pilot holes and a cutoff disc. The cheap rectangular IEC sockets have enough of a flange to cover up the less-than-perfect edge.

The Dremel is the single handiest tool for electronics construction that I know.
Old 5th September 2006, 09:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Since I only use aluminum or brass for chassis, I just use my scrollsaw with a 28TPI twist blade and lotsa oil.

Not nearly as much fun as a punch, but it gets the job done

Just remember to bend the chassis *after* making the cut
(more experience)
Old 5th September 2006, 09:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1

I do it the dangerous messy way of using a cut-off disk and a dremel tool. When a cut-off disk explodes at 30,000rpm you better hope your face isn't in the way of the shrapnel.

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

The Dremel is the single handiest tool for electronics construction that I know.
I use a dremel, too, and every time I turn it on it scares the hell out of me. I wonder how many emergency room visits can be attributed to dremel tools every year...

I use composite type cut-off wheels. They are built up on a fiberglass disc so they don't shatter and explode like the cheapy all-stone ones that come with the dremel tool. I bought a 5 pack for about $10. It was the best $10 I've spent since I bought the dremel tool.

Cut off wheels are great for cutting bicycle brake and shifter cables and their jackets. I wrap the cable with a piece of tape, then cut the cable mid way through the tape. The tape keeps the cable from fraying while cutting.

I hear that car thieves defeat "the club" type steering wheel locks by using battery operated cutoff saws to saw through the thin steel at the core of the steering wheel rather than the thick steel of the lock...

I_F
Old 5th September 2006, 10:44 PM   #19
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Since I only use aluminum or brass for chassis, I just use my scrollsaw with a 28TPI twist blade and lotsa oil.
Methylated spirits (that purple stuff) is much better than oil. I haven't looked back since finding that tip in Deketh.
Old 5th September 2006, 11:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I use composite type cut-off wheels. They are built up on a fiberglass disc so they don't shatter and explode like the cheapy all-stone ones that come with the dremel tool. I bought a 5 pack for about $10. It was the best $10 I've spent since I bought the dremel tool.
I've tried the reinforced disks but they are much thicker than the regular brittle disks so they have to remove more material which takes longer and makes more dust.

I learned very quickly to keep my face out of a broken disks flight path. I had one explode and take some skin off my cheek right below my eye, another inch up and I hate to think of what would of happened.

Hide this!Advertise here!