Ipod or ??? Where to go for downloads?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help!! My wife has expressed an interest in a Nano lately (her birthday is coming up, hint, hint). Im generally not hip to the MP3 thing other than Ive done some ripping etc with Lame/EAC/Foobar just for yucks.

She wants to download lots of singles, form the 70s and 80s for use while running and for in the car. Shes not technically astute BTW.

What is a good route? Ive been thinking the 1gb Nano since Apple products seem to be the most user friendly in general. And what is a good download website? Id prefer a one time payment for unlimited downloading but is that a good way to do it?

Thanks,

amt

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The ipod's are quite nice and are intuitive to operate. My girlfriend loves the ipod nano I got her, and she's hard to please!

The iTunes store may have songs she's looking for. I personally encode mp3s from CDs I own or borrow so I know the quality is decent. If you guys have a lot of 70s and 80s CDs just rip them yourself. Alternatively you could try finding a friend who has CDs from those eras and ask if you can borrow them for a day!

Hey Brian,

Well, one of the goals is to acquire those songs that dont justify buying the whole CD (meaning nobody I know has it). One hit wonder type stuff. And also, I dont want to have to do much. If my wife and point and click and have a new song, life will be good. I love her but shes not good at PC manipulation and so I spend a huge amount of time as it is debugging her machine and explaining software use.

So do different stores have different music based on iTunes vs whatever? That could be problematic.

amt

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Well the iPod can obviously play mp3s and Apple's proprietary format. It can also play raw uncompressed audio files (WAV or AIFF), WAV files, and Audible files.

Point, click, buy is the whole premise of the iTunes music store. Same goes for most other online music stores. The faster they can get your money the better.

Maybe the iPod will give her the motivation to become more computer savvy.

amt said:
Help!! My wife has expressed an interest in a Nano lately (her birthday is coming up, hint, hint). Im generally not hip to the MP3 thing other than Ive done some ripping etc with Lame/EAC/Foobar just for yucks.

She wants to download lots of singles, form the 70s and 80s for use while running and for in the car. Shes not technically astute BTW.

What is a good route? Ive been thinking the 1gb Nano since Apple products seem to be the most user friendly in general. And what is a good download website? Id prefer a one time payment for unlimited downloading but is that a good way to do it?

Thanks,

amt

hi there,

why not install a program like limewire then search your favorite song then download it.. its a nice software... i hope i help..

;)

denver said:
hi there,

why not install a program like limewire then search your favorite song then download it.. its a nice software... i hope i help..

I did not want to bring that up, but since you did, I'll comment. Yes, it's nice software which lets you download for free, but that is not the legal way to get songs. And I think that sharing songs is the illegal part, not downloading.:angel:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Apple iTunes music store with a 1GB/2GB Nano is the perfect solution for the very non technical at heart, particularly if you set up iTunes up so that every time you connect the Nano it automatically gets updated so states the Apple ad copy.. (I use iTunes and have a 5GB first gen iPod - still works after nearly 4 yrs, but I need to replace the battery.) I do like the Nano and iTunes but see below:

Caveats:
Nano(s) scratch easily!

The one danger of automatic synchronization is that if there is material on the iPod that is not in iTunes this material will be deleted from the iPod..

I know the above because a very sad niece called me a few weeks ago to say that she had crashed iTunes and it was set to automatically synchronize the Ipod with iTunes, and yes it deleted everything on the iPod.. :xeye: I was able to recover most of the music, but still have a lot more to do.. :dead:

IMHO iTunes has a lousy approach to synchronization it just makes the iPod the same as the library in iTunes with absolutely no intelligence whatsoever. Worse is there is no provision in the software for backing up the music files you have purchased, although they harp on the importance of back up you must do it manually - and unless you are very careful to get everything saved in the library as well as the playlists which are saved elsewhere you will have a not so fun time restoring the library after a HD failure.

I have spent many hours restoring other peoples iTunes library and when this happened to me I sort of gave up.. :D

Despite the hype iTunes is not for the brain dead or computer illiterate - if you invest a substantial amount of money in downloaded songs you need to back them up, and make sure that the auto synchronize feature is turned off or that its failings are well understood if using it. You will need to be involved.

:smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also of note is that it appears from recent press releases that the RIAA is now prosecuting some people who downloaded large amounts of music whether or not they subsequently made it available for upload.

Limewire, Kaz*a, and Bearshare** are all technically illegal in the USA, and whether it is legal in Canada to download is irrelevant here in the USA where it isn't.

**Bearshare has supposedly just reached an agreement with the RIAA where they will apparently collect some sort of license fee on material downloaded via p2p as appropriate.

I would use a legit music service like iTunes, Napster ;) , buymusic.com, mtv, etc..

Ripping cds at higher bit rates will give you better sound at the expense of larger file sizes. Unfortunately a 1GB Nano will fill up fast at anything above 128K. IMO there is a pretty big difference between material ripped at 192K vs 128K...

Not much more to add right now.. Good luck!

hi there.

sorry about that, but here in philippines downloading songs is a legal, but they looking for a person who pirates cd's and put it to jail,:bawling:using limewire is like sharing your file to others, and downloading free song is for poor person only, like me, coz i can't afford to buy expensive original audio cd..

Dare I suggest usenet? These days it is considered the trailer park of the internet, often with good reason, but if one looks one can find a lot of good stuff there.

Try alt.binarties.sounds.lossless for starters. Lossless compression (.flac and the more amateurish .ape files, occasionally .shn) allows expansion back to original .wav file which you can then rip to whatever quality level mp3 you desire.

There are a bunch of .mp3 groups as well, if ripping from .wav is too much trouble for you and you trust other people to do the ripping for you.

There are many such news groups, some that specialize in specific genres like blues or jazz.

I_F

Archive.org has free, legal downloads of live concerts and stuff. It's not just hippy jam bands.

Podcasts are generally free and presumably legal, and there's gazillions of DJs out there on the net that have mixes shared for promotional purposes, if you happen to like music with repetive beats.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.