Advice for diy Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm noob in electronics but want to try DIY a simple Vol. Control

I want to make a very simple volume control between my DAC and Active Cross-Over Unit.

From the MultiMeter Reading, my DAC RCA output jacks have 10K Ohm (also claimed to have 2.5V output)

The destination RCA input jacks of Active Cross-Over Unit have 7K Ohm (reading from multimeter)

I tried to diy a simple POT with IN OUT RCA Jacks (tried 1K, 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K)

I got a active preamp for test of volume before I plug the diy POT between in order to avoid sudden burst out of volume.

"Safe" test path: DAC > diy POT > active preamp > Active XO
Test path : DAC > diy POT > Active XO

Regardless of (value of K of the POT,), the sound level will suddenly increase hugely. Simply cannot rotate the POT's 1/10. I have difficulty to archieve the suitable volume level. :dead:

Appreciate for advices.

Re: explanation

PeteMcK said:
Check out this page for an explanation,
and how you can change one of the pots you already have to
log taper with a couple of resistors:

http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm#chg-law

AndrewT said:
Hi,
sounds more like you have not connected the grounds to the pot lower leg.

Thanks You guys. The attached link really helped me that I finally know a POT with connection and grounding could have different functions! :bigeyes:

As a noob in electronics, simple thing like above already giving me big trouble! :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.