need list of "standard" values such as impedance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2006, 02:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need list of "standard" values such as impedance

I need a list of the "standard" values such as impedance for a phono RCA jack output and standard voltages for such. The reason is that when I build my own amp, I want to implement phono and video inputs/outputs and such. If you have any hi-fi impedance matching circuits please post them! The main amp I want to build is symasm4, which is the best one I know of. If you know of a better amp with around the same component count, please post! Thanks in advance .
Old 30th August 2006, 03:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

!!!???no poste'? Come on guys... I at least want a good RIAA network...
Old 30th August 2006, 04:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Output levels vary depending on the manufacturer of the audio component in question. One thing that is nearly universal is that "line-level" outputs are low impedance (typically less than 200 Ohms or so) and line-level inputs are almost always >10K ohms.

Since you are building the preamp/switcher yourself, the best thing to do is measure the output levels of the components in question. CD players are easiest, because you can pop in a test CD (and you can make that yourself) with a 60 Hz, 0dB sine wave and read the maximum output with any multimeter.

Tuners, TVs, etc. may not be so easy but it isn't going to be critical anyway. Most multimeters aren't any good at measuring AC voltages that aren't sine waves, so your best bet is to use an oscilloscope. If you don't have a scope, then just assume the output levels are about the same as the CD player and leave it at that. You can always change amplifier gain later by swapping out a feedback resistor or padding the input.

If you want to get fancy, you can use a uC to make an adjustable attenuator and switch inputs, and make it programmable so you can match the levels depending on which input is selected. That sort of thing takes some pretty simple software.

I_F
Old 30th August 2006, 05:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, that clears all that up (somewhat). Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!